- Apply links menu
- Adult learning course list
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
The Census is the most comprehensive single survey of the United Kingdom population. The information from the Census enables central and local government to target resources and plan service provision more effectively. It also provides a broad range of population, social and economic information for use by other public services, the business and academic sectors, and the community.
The Census has been carried out every 10 years since 1801, with the exception of 1941. The most recent Census was held on March 27, 2011.
The following reports present the first results from the 2011 Census for Bristol:
- 2011 Census - First Release Briefing Note (pdf, 45 KB) (opens new window)
- 2011 Census - First Release - Bristol City Council Analysis (pdf, 0.6 MB) (opens new window)
- Key Statistics about Bristol LA area (pdf, 206 KB) (opens new window)
- 2011 Census - Population and household estimates for small areas (pdf, 255 KB) (opens new window)
- 2011 Census - 2011 Geographies for 2011 Census data in Bristol (pdf, 1.7 MB) (opens new window)
- Key Statistics about Equalities Communities in Bristol (pdf, 271 KB) (opens new window)
- Economic activity (pdf, 390 KB) (opens new window)- including hours worked, qualifications and students
- Employment (pdf, 445 KB) (opens new window) - including socio-economic classification, industry and occupation
- Ethnic Group (pdf, 0.6 MB) (opens new window)- including detailed ethnic group and multiple ethnic groups
- Health and care (pdf, 294 KB) (opens new window) - including disability, health and provision of unpaid care
- Housing and accommodation (pdf, 326 KB) (opens new window) - including dwellings, accommodation type, tenure, rooms and central heating
- Household composition (pdf, 356 KB) (opens new window) - including one person households, lone parents, dependent children and communal establishments
- Identity (pdf, 435 KB) (opens new window) - including country of birth, national identity and passports
- Language (pdf, 419 KB) (opens new window) - includes main language, proficiency in English and household language
- Migration (pdf, 270 KB) (opens new window) - including year of arrival, age at arrival and length of residence
- Population (pdf, 328 KB) (opens new window) - including age structure, martial status and living arrangements
- Religion (pdf, 337 KB) (opens new window) - including detailed religion
- Transport (pdf, 246 KB) (opens new window) - includes car availability and method of travel to work
- 2011 Census summary statistics by Ward (pdf, 86 KB) (opens new window)
- 2011 Census summary statistics by Lower Super Output Area (pdf, 106 KB) (opens new window)
- 2011 Census population by 5 year age band by Ward (pdf, 102 KB) (opens new window)
- 2011 Census population by 5 year age band by Lower Super Output Area (pdf, 47 KB) (opens new window)
The table below includes 2011 Census profiles for wards and maps of wards and the Lower Layer Super Output Areas (LSOAs) within the ward.
Profiles for Neighbourhood Partnerships, Lower Layer Super Output Areas and Output Areas are available using our downloadable 2011 Census Selected Statistics Tool (vnd.ms-excel, 2.6 MB) (opens new window). Use the tool to select the type are area that you are interested in (Eg LSOA) and then the name of the area you are interested in and a 4 page census profile is produced.
2011 Census Ward Profiles
ONS have released the 2011 Census Prospectus which sets out the release plans for the 2011 Census statistics. In summary, there will be four releases of data between July 2012 and October 2013, these will be followed by releases relating to migration, workplace, flow data, small population groups, alternative population bases and microdata.
2001 Census page on this site - statistics, local area profiles and background information.
Historic Census records note:
Individual Census forms remain confidential for 100 years. Records from the 1911 Census have recently been made available online.