- Apply links menu
- Adult learning courses and evening classes
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Emergency payment/household goods
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
Services we can provide
The Disabled Children Service provides a range of assessments and services for disabled children in Bristol, who have needs arising from their impairment which cannot be met by services available to all children.
Services provided include:
- Advice and information on services available in the community to meet the needs of disabled children, their parents and carers
- Social work assessment and plan to address particular needs arising from the child/young person’s impairment.
- Providing support for the young person and family.
- occupational therapy assessment services
- community, family, and residential based short breaks
- advice and assistance to access inclusive play and leisure facilities
Some children find it harder to learn than other children of the same age.
Children who are finding learning difficult are supported by their teachers, or with some extra help in school.
A few children have more complicated learning difficulties, and may need extra help or equipment in school to help them access an appropriate education.
Special educational support
The law says that children have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for them." (1996 Education Act).
About one in five children may have special educational needs of some kind. Some children may have special educational needs for a relatively short time; others will have special educational needs right through their education.
Most children with special educational needs will have appropriate provision made for them by their school, working with parents.
Sometimes the Special Educational Needs (SEN) Team may become involved in helping the school to provide the support needed. For details of Special Schools, which are set up to deal with children with special educational needs, can be found on our school finder.
Findability is an on line directory for disabled children and their families, listing thousands of organisations and events in one place.
Findability is supported by:
Findability News replaces the ‘Disability Register Newsletter’ and the ‘Aiming High’ newsletter.
Previous editions of the newsletter can be found in the Findability news archive.
CYPS in partnership with NHS Bristol are working towards the Every Disabled Child Matters Charter
For more information visit the Every Disabled Child Matters website.
Find out about the The Transitions Information Service which helps young people with additional support needs in the ‘transition’ to adult life and services.
Pages in the section
Disabled Children's Services 5 Knowle West Health Park, Downton Road Bristol, BRISTOL BS4 1WH Opening Hours
There is a duty Social Worker on these numbers from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and from 8.30am to 4.30pm on Fridays.
- Work: 0117 903 8250
- Text phone: 0117 903 8255
- Fax: 0117 903 8254