- Apply links menu
- Adult learning courses and evening classes
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Emergency payment/household goods
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
Apply for free school meals
Pupil Premium is extra money paid direct to schools for each child who is eligible for free school meals. It is used to support your child's education, but is only paid where families have applied for free school meals and are confirmed to be entitled.
Even if your child is in reception, Year 1 or Year 2 and receives free school meals under the Universal Infant Free School Meals Scheme, you still need to make a free school meals application for the school to receive Pupil Premium for your child.
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
If your child goes to an Academy you may have to apply directly to the school.
Check the list of Academies on the eFree School Meals Service (new window) to find out which we cover.
Apply online on the eFree School Meals Service This is the quickest and easiest way to apply.
If you cannot apply online you can send us a paper form.
Download our free school meals form (pdf, 85 KB)(opens new window) and post, or scan and email it. We cannot process your application unless you give all the information we ask for.
After you apply
Online, you will get an immediate decision or find out if we need more information. We then write to you to confirm this.
If you send a paper form, it takes up to 14 working days for us to write back with a decision.
If you move home or your benefits have stopped or changed, you must tell us.
Free School Meals
Bristol City Council
PO Box 3176
Bristol BS3 9FS
0117 903 7990