- Apply links menu
- Adult learning course list
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
The gallery features over 600 objects, most never displayed before, in the best Egyptian collection in the south west.
It covers belief, life, death and the afterlife in Ancient Egypt.
The gallery is about the people of Egypt and is based on the objects in Bristol's collection. It is a permanent display and all the objects in the gallery are genuine Egyptian artefacts.
When you visit, some of the things you will find are:
- Painted coffins.
- Human mummies.
- Animal mummies.
- Funerary masks.
- A painted funerary couch.
- An art installation by Mariele Neudecker is also in the gallery, which visitors become a part of.
The River Nile corridor divides the gallery space into two. On one side, you can explore belief and life in ancient Egypt, and on the other, displays cover death and the afterlife.
- Belief - the religious beliefs of the ancient Egyptians, including their views of creation, their gods and their rituals.
- Life - the social structure in ancient Egypt, childhood and a variety of different jobs from Pharaoh to farm labourer.
- Death - funerary belief, preparation of the body for mummification, coffin symbolism and tombs.
- After life - the ancient Egyptians' beliefs about what happened after death, and the need for grave goods, servants, food offerings, and possessions.
In addition there are areas offering thought-provoking areas on:
- Unwrapping a mummy.
- Egyptian identity.
- How do we see Ancient Egypt?
- The ethics of displaying the dead.
There is an Explore and Respond area where you can learn more about the collection, and make comments about the objects.
Bristol Museum and Art Gallery Queens Road Bristol, BS8 1RL Opening Hours
- Monday to Friday, 10am to 5pm
- Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays, 10am to 6pm
- Email: email@example.com
- Work: 0117 922 3571