- Apply links menu
- Adult learning course list
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
The Energy Management Unit (EMU) in Bristol provides a one stop shop for all aspects of energy consumption and management.
We work both for the council and for external clients in public and the third sector.
We help clients to reduce their carbon emissions through the implementation of energy efficiency works and the installation of renewables, from feasibility study to completion on site.
- Energy Procurement - we provide energy services to other public sector clients and regular reports on performance.
- Management of the supply of energy and water - management of the metering, energy and water bill verification. We currently process over 20,000 invoices annually.
- Energy Data Management – we deal with over 2,100 metered supplies, of which the vast majority are fitted with automatic meter reading (AMR) meters, remotely sending consumption data every half an hour.
- Energy Awareness - presenting the need to cut carbon in a fresh attractive way.
- Implementing energy efficiency projects.
- Implementing renewable energy projects.
- Compliance with Energy Legislation - For example, producing Display Energy Certificates (DECs) for the buildings, helping to highlight areas for energy efficiency works.
- Energy Innovation - we get involved in multi-party projects that can help shape the future of energy use for Europe.
Download our brochure: Bristol Energy and Carbon Initiatives booklet (pdf, 3.2 MB) (opens new window).
The EMU has international acclaim for innovation in carbon reduction, and is active in a whole array of ground breaking projects:
- The UK's first local authority large-scale wind turbine development.
- One of the UK's largest biomass boiler clusters.
- New biomass boiler projects worth £5 million being implemented.
- Local wood fuel depot development.
- PV development of £1.1 million, on Bristol schools completed.
- Development of multi MW ground source PV in feasibility.
- Looking at the feasibility of medium wind turbines and hydro power.
- Pioneered interconnection of our energy meter assets, using the “SystemsLink” database.
- A three-year European-funded ICT project SMARTSPACES taking us to the next level with data communication. Energy Management Services are developing ICT-based systems able to directly switch, control and adjust a range of energy consuming systems and devices. SMARTSPACES website.
- Thousands of tonnes of CO2 saved through a rotating energy efficiency fund.
Find out more on the Council use of renewable energy page.
Paul Isbell, Energy Manager
Telephone: 0117 922 3261
Energy Management Unit
Bristol, BS1 6EE