- Apply links menu
- Adult learning courses and evening classes
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Emergency payment/household goods
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
The Energy Management Unit (EMU) in Bristol provides a one stop shop for all aspects of energy consumption and management.
We work both for the council and for external clients in the public and third sectors.
We help clients to reduce their carbon emissions through the implementation of energy efficiency works and the installation of renewables, from feasibility study to completion on site.
- Energy Procurement: supply of gas, electricity and oil at competitive prices through framework agreements.
- Energy Bureau Services: including bill validation, payment and recharges, supply point administration and dispute resolution. We currently process over 20,000 invoices annually.
- Energy Data Management – range of online reporting, budgeting and monitoring tools, based on half-hourly consumption data from Automatic Meter Reading (“smart”) meters.
- Energy Awareness - presenting the need to cut carbon in a fresh attractive way.
- Energy Efficiency – energy audits, project management, and provision of interest-free finance for efficiency work.
- Renewable Energy – consultancy and project management of Biomass, Solar and Wind projects.
- Energy and Carbon Legislation - producing Display Energy Certificates (DECs), compliance with Carbon Reduction Commitment, and guidance on legislation.
- Energy Innovation - we get involved in multi-party projects that can help shape the future of energy use for Europe.
Download our brochure: Bristol Energy Service Guide (pdf, 1.4 MB)(opens new window)
The EMU has international acclaim for innovation in carbon reduction, and is active in a whole array of ground breaking projects:
- The EMU has international acclaim for innovation in carbon reduction, and is active in a whole array of ground breaking projects:
- The UK's first local authority large-scale wind turbine development.
- One of the UK's largest biomass boiler clusters.
- New biomass boiler projects worth £5 million being implemented
- Local wood fuel depot development.
- Solar PV on Schools project worth £1.1 million.
- Development of multi MW ground source PV in feasibility.
- Feasibility studies of medium wind turbines and hydro power.
- Pioneered interconnection of our energy meter assets, using the “SystemsLink” database.
- A three-year European-funded ICT project SMARTSPACES taking us to the next level with data communication. Energy Management Services are developing ICT-based systems able to directly switch, control and adjust a range of energy consuming systems and devices. SMARTSPACES website.
- Thousands of tonnes of CO2 saved through a rotating energy efficiency fund
Find out more on the Council use of renewable energy page.
Paul Isbell, Energy Manager
Telephone: 0117 922 3261
Energy Management Unit
100 Temple Street
Bristol, BS1 6AG