- Apply links menu
- Adult learning courses and evening classes
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Emergency payment/household goods
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
- Floating Harbour - latest results (pdf, 134 KB)(opens new window)
- Floating Harbour - sample sites on a Google map
Routine testing of the Floating Harbour is carried out weekly at four sites and five extra sites are tested monthly.
Floating Harbour water quality trigger levels
Bristol Floating Harbour is not a designated EU Bathing Water. If bacteriological water quality exceeds a locally derived trigger level a warning notice for harbour users is displayed on this website and at Baltic Wharf at the western end of the harbour outside the Harbour Masters Office. Daily re-testing is carried out until water quality improves and the notice withdrawn. Water quality is liable to deteriorate after heavy rainfall when it becomes temporarily contaminated by dilute faecal contamination.
Bristol Floating Harbour water quality profile
Bristol City Council has produced a water quality profile for the Harbour (pdf, 1.0 MB)(opens new window). The profile gives information about the water, pollution sources and improvements made to provide better water quality for all users.
Harbour water health advice
For people who may come into contact with water from the Floating Harbour the following advice has been produced with the Health Protection Agency. They highlight the risks, signs and symptoms of contact with open waters.
- Harbour water health advice leaflet (pdf, 396 KB)(opens new window)
- Harbour water health advice card - pocket size (pdf, 65 KB)(opens new window)
Routine testing is carried out for a range of physical, chemical, bacteriological and biological parameters. The following datasets, dating from 1995, are available:
- Bristol River Site National Grid References
- Bristol River water quality - rivers sample sites on a Google map
- Bristol River quality biological monitoring
- Abandoned Shopping Trolleys in Bristol rivers
- Bristol Floating Harbour Site National Grid References
- Bristol Floating Harbour Bacteriological water quality
Water quality trends in Bristol's rivers and streams have been calculated using physical, chemical and biological data collected by the council and classified using a locally derived quality assessment tool based on the Water Framework Directive classification scheme by special licence from the Environment Agency.
Percentage of sample sites by category
If you witness oil pollution within Bristol Floating Harbour, please contact the Harbour Master Tel: 0117 903 1484.
If you witness water pollution from oil, sewage or hazardous waste in Bristol rivers please contact the Environment Agency Emergency Hotline Tel: 0800 807 060 (freephone).