- Apply links menu
- Adult learning courses and evening classes
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Emergency payment/household goods
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
The Pollution Control Team will investigate complaints about noise from industrial, commercial, neighbour and neighbourhood sources. Please contact us for help or advice about noise from the following:
- alarms, including vehicle alarms
- barking dogs
- construction and demolition sites
- deliveries, or waste / recycling collections at commercial premises
- noisy neighbours
- noisy equipment in the street
- pubs and clubs
- ventilation, air conditioning equipment, or other noisy equipment in commercial and industrial premises
The person or people responsible for the noise may not be aware of the effects that the noise is having. Where possible discuss the problem with them, as this will often sort the matter out and also help maintain good neighbour relations.
If this does not resolve the problem, or if you feel unable to contact the person responsible, you can ask us to investigate the complaint on your behalf.
We will need the following information.
- Your name, address and telephone number
(we are not able to deal with anonymous complaints but will deal with your complaint in confidence and not pass your details on without your agreement)
- The address where the noise is coming from, and the name of the person responsible for the noise (if known).
- Details of the noise you are suffering from, together with when and how often it occurs.
You can email this information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The noise diary (pdf, 15 KB)(opens new window) can be used to record information about the noise and can then be returned to Pollution Control on completion.
- You can also use our online form to report a noise nuisance problem.
- View our booklet about domestic noise (pdf, 1.2 MB)(opens new window) problems.
- The Department for Environment Food and Rural affairs (defra) also has a helpful booklet called Bothered by Noise.
In addition to the normal working week Pollution Control also runs an out-of-hours service to tackle noise problems which occur in the evenings and at night.
We can only provide a service for about 75% of the year, the weeks covered are chosen to respond to periods of peak demand in order to ensure the most effective service with the resources we have. Please contact the team for details of service availability 0117 922 2500.
This service is provided by two officers working as a team, for health and safety reasons, covering the whole of the city. As a result in times of high demand there may be a delay in their response.
The hours of this service are:
|Day||Working hours of service|
|Monday||7.30pm to midnight|
|Tuesday||7.30pm to midnight|
|Wednesday||7.30pm to 1.00am next day|
|Thursday||7.30pm to 1.00am next day|
|Friday||7.00pm to 3.30am next day|
|Saturday||7.00pm to 3.30am next day|
|Sunday||7.30pm to midnight|
The service does not currently operate on Bank Holidays.
This service is contacted through the Emergency Control Centre, who can receive your calls 24 hours per day, on 0117 922 2050.
As an alternative to asking us to investigate a noise problem disputes about a variety of issues including noise can often be resolved by mediation.
Bristol Mediation promotes and provides community mediation, and offers a free, confidential and impartial neighbour mediation service to all residents of Bristol. They can be contacted at:
Unit 64 Easton Business Centre
Bristol BS5 0HE
We do not have any legal powers to deal with:
- rowdy behaviour in public places
- traffic and aircraft noise
For help with Noise in the workplace please contact the our Public Health Services Team who will be able to advise you.
Telephone: 0117 922 2500