- Apply links menu
- Adult learning course list
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
The Pollution Control team is the section of Bristol City Council dealing with pollution. We are part of Environmental Protection within the Safer Bristol group.
We deal with a wide range of pollution matters which include noise, air and land pollution.
- Enforcement of the contaminated land regime.
- Environmental damage regulations.
Environmental information regulations
Environmental information searches.
- Barking dogs and other animals.
- Construction site noise.
- Domestic noise.
- Intruder alarms.
- Industrial and commercial noise.
- Licensed premises.
- Noise from vehicles, machinery and equipment in the streets.
- Asbestos in the home.
- Light pollution.
- Pollution incidents.
- Providing advice and information about pollution matters.
- Investigation of noise, air and land pollution complaints.
- Advising our Planning Development Control Teams about potential pollution impacts of new developments.
- Acting as responsible authority under the terms of the Licensing Act 2003 to prevent public nuisance from noise from licensed premises.
- Providing an emergency response to pollution incidents in support of the council's civil contingencies responsibilities.
- Conforming to the Regulatory services - Enforcement Policy (msword, 150 KB)(opens new window).
Some pollution issues are dealt with by other departments and government agencies. Below is a list of contacts that may be able to help you.
- Disturbances in the streets.
- Non emergency number: 101.
- Regulation of some industrial processes, mineral extraction and waste operations.
- Major water pollution incidents.
- Management of water resources, abstraction, rivers and fisheries.
- National Air Pollution Control.
- Air quality monitoring and management.
- Water quality monitoring.
- Noise from traffic.
- Environmental Management and Sustainability (EMAS).
Health and Safety Team
- Noise in the workplace.
8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday
8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday
Address: Pollution Control Team, Brunel House, St George's Road, Bristol, BS1 5UY
Telephone: 0117 922 2500
Fax: 0117 922 3395
In addition to the normal working week Pollution Control also runs an out-of-hours service to tackle noise problems which occur in the evenings and at night.This service is provided by two officers working as a team, for health and safety reasons, covering the whole of the city. As a result in times of high demand there may be a delay in their response.
We can only provide a service for about 75% of the year, the weeks covered are chosen to respond to periods of peak demand in order to ensure the most effective service with the resources we have. Please contact the team for details of service availability 0117 922 2500.
The hours of this service are:
|Day||Working hours of service|
|Wednesday||7.30pm to 1am next day|
|Thursday||7.30pm to 1am next day|
|Friday||7.00pm to 3.30am next day|
|Saturday||7.00pm to 3.30am next day|
|Sunday||7.30pm to midnight|
The service does not currently operate on bank holidays.
This service is contacted through the Emergency Control Centre, who can receive your calls 24 hours per day, on 0117 922 2050.