- Apply links menu
- Adult learning courses and evening classes
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Emergency payment/household goods
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
Affordable housing is for people who are unable to rent or buy on the open market.
These pages explain what affordable housing is, what related products there are and how it is delivered.
To apply for affordable housing go to the HomeChoice website (housing register).
Affordable housing includes:
Homes to rent at:
- Affordable Rents.
- Social rents.
Homes to buy:
- Affordable home ownership.
Homes for older people:
- Sheltered housing for rent.
- Extra care housing for rent.
- Extra care affordable home ownership.
For developers and home builders looking to work with us to develop affordable housing options please see the relevant page in this section.
Affordable housing is for people who are unable to afford to rent or buy on the open market. There are different types of affordable housing schemes to suit people’s needs.
- Affordable Rent – rent set at up to 80% of the local market rent, tenancies can be fixed term.
- Social rent – housing for rent based on a national rent formula, generally lower than Affordable Rent.
- Both the above are let through the local authority or a housing association.
Go to the South West Homes website or phone 0300 100 0021 for the latest range of affordable home ownership and shared ownership products.
South West Homes also deal with:
- rent to homebuy
- a specialist scheme for armed forces personnel
- a specialist scheme for people with learning disabilities.
They do not cover the Local Authority Mortgage Scheme (LAMS). If you need information on LAMS this can be found on our Other housing options page.
- Sheltered housing – housing for older people, access is via HomeChoice Bristol website (housing register).
- Extra care housing for rent – sheltered housing with increased care and support.
- Extra care affordable home ownership – sheltered housing with increased care and support to buy. See our extra care housing page for both these extra care options.
- Retirement housing – see our Extra care housing page.
We work with our neighbouring councils, housing associations and private home builders to make affordable homes available. This partnership is known as the West of England Housing Delivery Panel.
Housing associations (also known as registered providers)
These are not for profit organisations that work with us to develop and manage affordable homes for rent and shared ownership.
Our Landlord Services also have a development programme. These new homes plus any existing homes which become available are let through HomeChoice Bristol.
For details of local housing associations, Landlord Services and the properties they rent go to the HomeChoice Bristol website.
You can apply to bid for properties from all providers with just one application.
There are a number of ways, mainly:
- Working with the Homes and Communities Agency and housing associations to develop the Affordable Housing Programme.
- We are also responsible for negotiating new affordable homes through the planning system on large new developments in the city.
A new Affordable Housing Delivery Plan is being developed to increase the number of homes produced to up to 1,000 in the year 2016/17. That plan will be posted here in Autumn 2013.
Registered providers can now apply to Bristol City Council for an interest free, short term loan.
Specifically designed for ‘not for profit’ registered housing providers working in our city, interest free loans up to £50,000 per scheme are available for up to three years.
To find out more download the flyer and application form.
Pages in the section
Housing Development Team 4th Floor Amelia Court Pipe Lane Bristol, BS1 5AA