- Apply links menu
- Adult learning course list
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
Don’t miss the first Make Sundays Special event
The first of five monthly ‘Make Sundays Special’ events takes place on Sunday, June 23 when Bristol’s streets will be opened up for everyone to enjoy.
From 11am to 4pm, the city will open up its roads to pedestrians, cyclists, wheelchair users and families with babies in buggies.
Bristol’s Make Sundays Special initiative will see the traffic free streets of Baldwin Street, King Street, Corn Street and the area around St Nicholas Market and the Old City come alive with a host of circus acts, street entertainers, sports games and historic tours.
Visitors can expect everything from hula-hooping to community choirs and from basketball games to alfresco café lounges. You can enjoy street games, performers, markets, historic tours or relax in a street lounge.
- Children’s Scrapstore – play with scrap, arts and crafts plus street games
- Basketball – have a go sessions and local team games
- Streets Alive – street lounges and workshops
- Visit St Nicholas Market and tour the Corn Exchange
- Historic Tours of Castle Park – See some of the remains of Bristol Castle and St Peter’s Church. This was probably the area where medieval Bristol first emerged in the Late Saxon period.
- Circus and street performers – including Circomedia students and Amazing Wayne riding his giant unicycle
- Cycle or walk a signposted route around the city – through to Creative Common at the Enterprise Zone and fitness sessions in Castle Park.
- TravelWest Roadshow team – travel advice, route planning and taster tickets
- Dr Bike – free bike checks and basic fixes
Plus, dance groups, street theatre, food stalls, comedy acts, music and much more.
Make Sundays Special dates
- Sunday, June 23
- Sunday, July 21
- Sunday, August 18
- Sunday, September 29
- Sunday, October 20
What else’s happening?
Big Green Week continues with the Park Street Playground and Electric Sunday in Millennium Square. The new Sunday Brunch Market will run from 10am to 4pm at the Harbourside Market, and the No Fit State Circus will be at the Creative Common.
First has introduced a special discounted family First Day ticket from £8 to £5 for each Make Sunday Special date. First’s special £5 offer will allow five people, with a maximum of two adults, to enjoy unlimited travel throughout Bristol zones 1 and 2 on any of the car-free Sundays.
Road closures will operate from 9am to 6pm on each of the Make Sunday Special days to allow set up and clear up. Diversions will be in place.
Car visitors are welcome and all city centre car parks will be open. For all traffic related enquiries call 0117 9031212 or email our traffic team on firstname.lastname@example.org
Anyone looking to get involved by helping out as a volunteer or performing one Sunday should contact email@example.com or call Esther on 0117 922 3538 or Claire Teasdale on 0117 922 4665.
Published on: Wed, 19/06/2013