- Apply links menu
- Adult learning courses and evening classes
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Emergency payment/household goods
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
Building control is concerned with the health and safety of people in and around buildings.
We make sure buildings are constructed in a safe and stable manner, comply with energy conservation requirements and have suitable access and facilities for building users.
The Building Regulations and Standards Team will help you through the process of complying with national building standards.
You can pay fees by telephone on 0117 922 3000, as well as online and by cheque.
We are always happy to discuss and offer pre application advice, free of charge.
Please contact us on 0117 922 3000 with your details and a surveyor will phone you back shortly afterwards.
You can either:
- Complete the relevant application form online. Planning and building control - online services.
- Submit your application on the Submit-a-Plan website.
You can then:
- Pay your building regulation inspection fees at pay council bills, fines and permits online.
- Telephone 0117 922 3000, please have your credit or debit card ready. If you choose to pay by credit card, an additional charge of 1.8% will be added to your payment. No extra charge is made for using a debit card.
- Send your fee by post (cheques/postal orders made payable to Bristol City Council).
Please note that if you intend to pay by telephone:
- You must know the amount to be paid before calling.
- Payment times are between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Thursday on Fridays between 8.30am and 4.30pm.
You can send your documents in the following formats:
- Microsoft Word (.doc)
- Adobe Acrobat PDF (.pdf)
- Microsoft Excel (.xls)
A 365 days a year, 24-hour emergency inspection service. The team has emergency powers to make sure that buildings or structures posing a risk to the public are made safe.
Find out about dangerous structures service.
The examination of submitted building regulation applications. Carrying out construction inspections to make sure that the regulations are met on site.
On a day-to-day basis building regulation enforcement is carried out on an informal basis.
Free advice to developers of major schemes.
Structural engineering service
To examine building regulation applications in relation to structural issues. Inspecting work on site along with with normal building regulation inspections.
Safety at sports grounds
The service is a statutory consultee under safety at sports grounds legislation and is represented on the 'Safety Advisory Group' (SAG).
Control of demolition
Where conducting demolition works there is a statutory requirement to serve notice on us.
This team serves counter notices that contain requirements to ensure safe demolition and ensures that neighbours and other interested parties including the utility companies are consulted.
Find out more about the demolition of buildings.
Party Wall Act
We cannot advise about general party wall issues. The Chief Building Control surveyor as Appointing Officer under the Act can appoint a third surveyor where two surveyors cannot agree.
We have now closed our survey for this year, and thank you to all those who completed the survey.
We had 108 responses, and a total of 112 free text comments. The highlights were:
- 96% of respondents were either very satisfied or satisfied with the overall level of service.
- 69% made their application either on line or by telephone.
- 85% either strongly agreed or agreed that the Building Control Officers were knowledgeable.
- 73% of respondents thought the plan checking process was timely.
- 95% had no difficulty with the site inspection booking system.
- 89% of respondents thought the application process was straight forward.
The survey will run again next year, however if you missed the opportunity to respond, or have any feedback on our services, you can contact us at email@example.com
We are now beginning the process for the 2015 Awards, which cover projects that have completed in 2014.
The regional award ceremony will be held at the Bristol City Centre Marriott on 10th July 2015.
If you feel that your project is worthy of an award, and would like to know details of the nomination process, and award categories, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pay, apply, report it
Pay your building regulation inspection fees at pay council bills, fines and permits online.
Apply for a building regulations application or notice (online form).
Report a breach of building regulations (online form).
Report start and completion of building works (online form).
Pages in the section
- Accessing planning and building regulations information
- Appointment system - Planning and Building Regulations - Brunel House
- Building Control enforcement complaint form
- Building Regulations customer satisfaction survey
- Building regulations - useful addresses and contact numbers
- Building regulations enforcement
Building Regulations and Standards Brunel House, 2nd floor, Brunel Wing Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176 Bristol, BS3 9FS Opening Hours
We operate 'appointment only' visits to this office. Please telephone 0117 922 3000 to book an appointment.
If you have queries about a specific application, please telephone before 10.30am.
St George's Road
- Email: email@example.com
- Work: 0117 922 3000