- Apply links menu
- Adult learning course list
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Emergency payment/household goods
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
We have been able to limit any increases to a small inflationary amount and are pleased to have been able to freeze the charges for the most common stand-alone improvements that you may be carrying out to your home.
Where you opt to pay your full plans fee in stages, this figure will now include a small charge to cover the additional administration and invoicing costs involved. If you wish to avoid this cost then you can choose to pay the fee in full when you submit the application.
Building control is concerned with the health and safety of people in and around buildings. We make sure buildings are constructed in a safe and stable manner, comply with energy conservation requirements and have suitable access and facilities for building users.
The Building Regulations and Standards Team will help you through the process of complying with national building standards.
You can pay fees by telephone on 0117 9223298, as well as online and by cheque.
We are always happy to discuss and offer pre application advice, free of charge. Please contact us on 0117 922 3000 with your details and a surveyor will phone you back shortly afterwards.
You can either:
- Complete the relevant application form online. Planning and building control - online services.
- Submit your application on the Submit-a-Plan website.
You can then:
- Pay your building regulation inspection fees at pay council bills, fines and permits online.
- Telephone 0117 922 3298 - please have your credit or debit card ready. If you choose to pay by credit card, an additional charge of 1.8% will be added to your payment. No extra charge is made for using a debit card.
- Send your fee by post (cheques/postal orders made payable to Bristol City Council).
Please note that if you intend to pay by telephone:
- You must know the amount to be paid before calling.
- Payment times are between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Thursday on Fridays between 8.30am and 4.30pm.
- The payment line is just for payments and not for any other type of enquiry.
You can send your documents in the following formats:
- Microsoft Word (.doc)
- Adobe Acrobat PDF (.pdf)
- Microsoft Excel (.xls)
A 365 days a year, 24-hour emergency inspection service. The team has emergency powers to make sure that buildings or structures posing a risk to the public are made safe. Find out about dangerous structures service.
The examination of submitted building regulation applications. Carrying out construction inspections to make sure that the regulations are met on site.
On a day-to-day basis building regulation enforcement is carried out on an informal basis.
Free advice to developers of major schemes.
Structural engineering service
To examine building regulation applications in relation to structural issues. Inspecting work on site along with with normal building regulation inspections.
Safety at sports grounds
The service is a statutory consultee under safety at sports grounds legislation and is represented on the 'Safety Advisory Group' (SAG).
Control of demolition
Where conducting demolition works there is a statutory requirement to serve notice on us. This team serves counter notices that contain requirements to ensure safe demolition and ensures that neighbours and other interested parties including the utility companies are consulted. Find out more about the demolition of buildings.
Free advice is available about the Building Regulations including exemptions that do not require an application. Various leaflets are constantly being reviewed and are available from within the pages in this section along with frequently asked questions.
Party Wall Act
We cannot advise about general party wall issues. The Chief Building Control surveyor as Appointing Officer under the Act can appoint a third surveyor where two surveyors cannot agree.
These are the highlights of the survey done in October 2013:
- 93% of respondents were either very satisfied or quite satisfied with the overall level of service
- 100% of respondents either strongly agreed or agreed that the Building Control officers were helpful and courteous
- 100% of respondents either strongly agreed or agreed that the Building Control officers were knowledgeable
- 82% of respondents thought the plan checking process was timely with 18% neither agreeing or disagreeing.
- 100% of respondents had no difficulty with the site inspection booking system
- 97% of respondents finding the application process straight forward
We will re-run the survey again next year however if you missed the opportunity to respond or have any feedback on our services in the interim, you can use our general survey form.
Pay, apply, report it
Pay your building regulation inspection fees at pay council bills, fines and permits online.
Apply for a building regulations application or notice (online form).
Report a breach of building regulations (online form).
Report start and completion of building works (online form).
Pages in the section
- Accessing planning and building regulations information
- Appointment system - Planning and Building Regulations - Brunel House
- Building Control enforcement complaint form
- Building Regulations customer satisfaction survey
- Building regulations - useful addresses and contact numbers
- Building regulations enforcement
Building Regulations and Standards Brunel House St George's Road Bristol, BS1 5UY Opening Hours
We operate 'appointment only' visits to this office. Please telephone 0117 922 3000 to book an appointment.
If you have queries about a specific application, please telephone before 10.30am.
- Email: email@example.com
- Work: 0117 922 3000