- Apply links menu
- Adult learning course list
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
A revised fee scheme comes into effect on April 1, 2013. We have managed to restrict any increases to less than inflation and this is the first occasion that charges have been revised since 2011.
New building regulations fee sheet (pdf, 79 KB) (opens new window)
We are also pleased to offer the facility to pay fees via the phone, on 0117 9223298, as well as online and by cheque.
We are always happy to discuss and offer pre application advice, free of charge. Please contact us on 0117 922 3000 with your details and a surveyor will phone you back shortly afterwards.
Building control is concerned with the health and safety of people in and around buildings. We make sure buildings are constructed in a safe and stable manner, comply with energy conservation requirements and have suitable access and facilities for building users.
The Building Regulations and Standards Team will help you through the process of complying with national building standards.
You can either:
- Complete our online application form available from the pay, apply, report it section
- Submit your application on the Submit-a-Plan website.
You can then:
- pay your fee online
- telephone 0117 9223298 - please have your credit or debit card ready. If you choose to pay by credit card, an additional charge of 1.8% will be added to your payment. No extra charge is made for using a debit card.
- send your fee by post (cheques/postal orders made payable to Bristol City Council).
Please note that if you intend to pay by telephone:
- you must know the amount to be paid before calling.
- payment times are between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Thursday on Fridays between 8:30 and 4:30.
- the payment line is just for payments and not for any other type of enquiry.
You can send your documents in the following formats:
- Microsoft Word (.doc)
- Adobe Acrobat PDF (.pdf)
- Microsoft Excel (.xls)
A 365 days a year, 24-hour emergency inspection service. The team has emergency powers to make sure that buildings or structures posing a risk to the public are made safe.
Find out about the emergency inspection service.
The examination of submitted building regulation applications. Carrying out construction inspections to make sure that the regulations are met on site.
On a day-to-day basis building regulation enforcement is carried out on an informal basis.
Free advice to developers of major schemes.
Structural engineering service
To examine building regulation applications in relation to structural issues. Inspecting work on site along with with normal building regulation inspections.
Safety at sports grounds
The service is a statutory consultee under safety at sports grounds legislation and is represented on the 'Safety Advisory Group' (SAG).
Control of demolition
Where conducting demolition works there is a statutory requirement to serve notice on us. This team serves counter notices that contain requirements to ensure safe demolition and ensures that neighbours and other interested parties including the utility companies are consulted. Find out more about this service.
Free advice is available about the Building Regulations including exemptions that do not require an application. Various leaflets are constantly being reviewed and are available in the following pages along with frequently asked questions.
Party Wall Act
We cannot advise about general party wall issues. The Chief Building Control surveyor as Appointing Officer under the Act can appoint a third surveyor where two surveyors cannot agree.
Pay, apply, report it
Pages in the section
- Accessing planning and building regulations information
- Appointment system - Planning and Building Regulations - Brunel House
- Building Control enforcement complaint form
- Building Regulations customer satisfaction survey
- Building regulations - useful addresses and contact numbers
- Building regulations enforcement
Building Regulations and Standards Brunel House St George's Road Bristol, BS1 5UY Opening Hours
We operate 'appointment only' visits to this office. Please telephone 0117 922 3000 to book an appointment.
If you have queries about a specific application, please telephone before 10.30am.
- Email: email@example.com
- Work: 0117 922 3000