- Apply links menu
- Adult learning courses and evening classes
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Emergency payment/household goods
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
Search on our planning online website to find details of current and historic planning applications.
- Online on our Planning online site.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Write to us at:
Development Management, Brunel House, St George’s Road, Bristol, BS1 5UY.
If you send a comment by email or online, you do not need to send us a copy by post. Electronic comments carry just as much weight as written comments, and are processed in the same way.
Comments must include
- your name and address
- application number
- site address
Comments that contain racist, defamatory or derogatory material will not be taken into consideration or published.
Making an effective comment
- Make sure you comment on planning matters.
- Remember to include your name and address.
- Don't make comments about the applicant or other interested parties.
- Don't use the online comments facility as a forum to exchange views.
Publishing your personal details
Any written comment you make about an application, by law, must be placed on the public file, although this does not give permission for any re-use of the information, for any purpose. What this means is that:
- Your comment, and your name and address will form part of the planning application documents.
- Anonymous and 'in confidence' comments will not be considered.
- Your comment will be published on our website including your name and address.
- We will remove any signature, email address and telephone number before publishing.
Therefore it may be possible for your name and address to be browsed through internet browsers and search functions such as Google, Yahoo and Ask Jeeves.
We will consider any special circumstance of making personal details sensitive, for example keeping confidential the address of a person who is the subject of harassment. If you feel your comment should be kept confidential please write a letter, marked "confidential" to the Development Management Service Manager.
You can also contact, and submit your comment to your local councillor.
All comments we receive about a planning application will be considered, but only planning issues can be taken into account. These include:
- Loss of light or privacy.
- Overshadowing on your home.
- Highway safety.
- Traffic and parking issues.
- Historic buildings.
- Appearance of the development.
Issues which cannot be taken into account include:
- Loss of view.
- Effect on property values.
- Private rights.
- Boundary disputes.
- Construction noise.
Normally 21 days is allowed from the date of publicity for comments to be made. However, all written comments received up until the decision is made will be considered.
We will acknowledge all emails and all letters with an email address by a return email. We will not send paper/letter acknowledgements.
Contact us if you want to check if your letter has been received. Please allow five days after your letter was sent for it to be entered on our system.
We will not normally contact you again until after a decision is made unless the application:
- Is to be decided by a development control committee, or
- Is significantly altered or withdrawn.
As we get many comments about planning applications we cannot enter into individual correspondence or discussion.
Please see the leaflet 'Your chance to have your say' in the related documents section. If you have any questions or would like more information please contact us.
Development Management Brunel House St George's Road Bristol, BS1 5UY Opening Hours
Visit Brunel House - we operate appointment only visits to this office. Please telephone to make an appointment.
- Email: email@example.com
- Work: 0117 922 3000