- Apply links menu
- Adult learning course list
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
If you or your organisation wish to carry out work within, excavate, or break through the existing adopted highway to work on or install new apparatus, you will need to apply for a Section 50 Licence (NRSWA).
If you are planning to apply for a Section 50 Licence please be aware of the following:
- Those granted a Section 50 Licence become "works undertakers" (for the purposes of NRSWA), and because of that take on responsibility for carrying out the duties and responsibilities imposed by the Act and its associated Codes of Practice.
- If you are not familiar with the requirements of the New Roads and Streetworks Act, it is important that you appoint a works contractor with the proper knowledge and accreditation. Such a contractor will be able to help you complete the application as well as make sure that the works are conducted properly. If you appoint a contractor lacking the proper knowledge or accreditation, we may not allow them to work within the highway.
- Within the New Roads and Streetworks Act, as the licence holder you may incur financial penalties if you do not meet the necessary statutory duties and licence conditions. Please note that this liability cannot be delegated to any other person or organisation.
- The requirement to get a Section 50 Licence applies to any person or organisation (other than anyone acting under a statutory right) who wishes to place, retain and thereafter inspect, maintain, adjust, repair, alter, or renew apparatus or change its position or remove it from the highway. The term apparatus includes drains, cables, ducts, sewer pipes, water and gas pipes both under, over, across, along, or upon the highway.
- You must apply for a Section 50 Licence before the proposed works are due to start.
- The guidance given here does not describe all the requirements of the licence.
Download the application form from the link below:
Send your completed application form to the address below or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need further information or help with an application please contact us:
Telephone: 0117 903 6570
Write to: Highway Network Management, Floor 5, Wilder House, 2 to12 Wilder Street, St Paul's, Bristol, BS2 8PH