- Apply links menu
- Adult learning course list
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
The Tenant Support Service (TSS) can help vulnerable adults whose housing is at risk or who need support to set up a new tenancy.
This includes supporting people with:
- mental health issues
- physical and sensory impairment
- learning difficulties
- drug or alcohol issues
- domestic abuse
- rough sleepers
- older people
- ex offenders
- people with HIV/Aids.
We can can help private tenants, council tenants, housing association tenants and homeowners, if their housing is at risk.
We support you to:
- deal with debts, including rent arrears
- resettle into a new home
- apply for benefits
- sort out bills and develop budgeting skills
- access services
- find training, education, employment and leisure opportunities
We offer support through:
- one to one support
- group skills sessions
- drop-in and bookable advice sessions (see TSS advice sessions below).
- Contact us by telephone on 0117 35 21800 or 0800 0730217. We will complete an online referral via the Housing Support Register.
- Bristol City Council tenants can contact their Estate and Rents Officer to complete a referral.
- Housing Association tenants can contact their landlord for a referral.
- Visit a Customer Service Point.
Once you are on the Housing Support Register you will have to wait until a support provider contacts you to offer you an assessment.
The length of time you have to wait depends on your priority for support.
If you are on a low priority we will give you information on where you can get advice whilst you are waiting.
Please contact us if your circumstances change such as:
- Change of contact details.
- You have moved into a new tenancy.
- Your circumstances have worsened.
We offer drop-in and bookable advice sessions while you are on the waiting list for support.
Call us on 0117 3521800 or 0800 0730217 to find out when the next session is.
Applications have now closed for Training, Recreation, Education and Employment (TREE) Advisors.
For more information on this volunteer role see Volunteer role,TREE Advisor (pdf, 22 KB) (opens new window).
New opportunities will be advertised when they become available.
“I would like to say the service I received has been extremely good. I would not have known what to do without it. My support worker has been the biggest help and made me feel at ease with moving into my new home”
Kerry- Anne, March 2013
“[my support worker] was very caring and business like. She has given me the confidence- I did not know how I would cope- I came from a hostel- now I feel I can cope- she has taught me HOW!! She taught me how to be strong- I can never thank you enough for this great service- words are not enough! I was in the pits of despair- you’ve brought me to a level place.”
Dagma, December 2012
“My support worker was a very polite lady, always on the end of the phone, keeping me involved in everything she did, without my support worker’s help I don’t know where I would be today. A big thank you to (her) and all the support I had. Thank you”
Tina, February 2013
“When I was seriously struggling to get lots of different aspects of my life in order the service was unbelievably helpful in sorting out bills, grants and mental health services” Melissa, November 2012
Housing and welfare advice
- Shelter - Housing advice
- National Debt Advice Line
- Council tax
- Housing benefit and council tax reduction
- Benefits and money advice
- Bristol Citizens Advice Bureau
- Job Centre Plus
Health and support
- Mind - Mental health issues
- Survive - Service for people experiencing domestic violence
- NHS Direct - Health problems
- Bristol Drugs Project
Utilities and repairs
Tenant Support service PO Box 595 Bristol, BS99 2BR Opening Hours
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm
Friday, 9am to 4.30pm
Tenant Support offer flexible support hours to meet individual needs.
- Email: email@example.com
- Work: 0117 352 1800 or Freephone 0800 730217
- Fax: 0117 352 1801