- Apply links menu
- Adult learning courses and evening classes
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Emergency payment/household goods
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
M Shed celebrates one million visitors
Release date: Tue, 19/02/2013
It’s not every day a museum can celebrate its one-millionth visitor – but Bristol’s M Shed is an exception. And thanks to the 8,000 visitors over the weekend marking the Chinese New Year of the Snake – M Shed has now welcomed over a million visitors and is looking forward to welcoming thousands more in the weeks and months ahead.
“Wow! To have over one million visitors is just amazing,” says Julie Finch, head of Bristol Museums, Galleries & Archives. “We have been truly delighted with the wealth of support and enthusiasm for M Shed since it opened its doors less than two years’ ago. Our collections showcase Bristol’s great heritage, bringing together communities and celebrating the people who have made the city what it is today. Events like Chinese New Year and our current Chocolate! exhibition are perfect examples of how M Shed celebrates the story of Bristol and its people.
“We always knew M Shed would have a special place in the hearts of local people and more than that, M Shed’s has drawn in and thrilled visitors from around the country and across the world.”
Councillor Simon Cook, Bristol’s cabinet member for culture, sport and capital programme, added: “M Shed opened in June 2011 and was immediately recognised as one of the UK’s most innovative and ambitious museum developments. To have over a million visitors within twenty months after opening is just fantastic and underpins our belief that M Shed would always be a very special place.
“We are all incredibly proud of M Shed.”
M Shed’s visitors’ book is full of praise for the museum. “Simply fantastic!” Writes D Booch of Cirencester. “Too much to see in one visit. It blows the mind. So much information. Great. Will be back for a second instalment soon. Thanks Bristol.”
· M Shed is housed in the landmark 1950s transit sheds on the historic waterfront in the heart of the city. The museum features some 3,000 exhibits, drawn from the world class collection of the city, telling the many thousands of stories of the people of Bristol, which have been discovered through working with experts and communities across the city, a process that will continue for the life of the museum.
For more information about M Shed visit the website.