At risk of becoming homeless because of domestic abuse

At risk of becoming homeless because of domestic abuse

What you can do if you’re at risk of becoming homeless because of domestic abuse

Call 999 if a crime is happening now or you're in immediate danger.

What is domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can include:

  • violence or threats towards you or your children
  • calling you names or making you feel bad about yourself
  • stopping you seeing friends or family
  • not letting you have any money

This can be from someone, aged 16 or over, who has been an intimate partner or a family member, regardless of their gender or sexuality.

If you need to leave home now

If you need to leave home immediately try to spend a few days with friends or relatives while you think about what to do next.

You won’t always be able to get emergency accommodation if you leave your home because of violence or abuse. 

Don't give up your home until you’ve spoken to one of our housing advisers or an adviser from the domestic abuse services. Try and have a plan of where you’re going to go before you leave your home.

Get help

There are organisations who can help you stay safe in your home or find you somewhere else to live.

Next Link Bristol are a domestic abuse service for women.

Their services include:

  • help for victims to access services such as housing or mental health support
  • help and advice on how to stay safe in your own home 
  • finding places in one of Bristol’s safe houses, these include safe houses for women from certain ethnic backgrounds

Call: 0117 925 0680. Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday, 9.30am to 1pm

Also see our abuse and violence page for other organisations who may be able to help you.

Make your home safer

If you want to stay in your home, you can apply for a ‘target hardening’ service. This is when the police come to your home and make adjustments to try to make it safer

You can apply for target hardening if the person abusing you:

  • isn’t living with you 
  • has been living with you but has been told by the court to stay away

Target hardening can include:

  • window and door locks
  • door chains 
  • spy holes
  • fire proof letter boxes

If you’re renting, your landlord will need to agree to any work being done.

If you’re interested in making your home safer, contact the police. They’ll give you advice about whether it’s right for you.