Give notice of a marriage or civil partnership

Legal requirements and documents needed to get married or form a civil partnership

When and where to give notice

You have to book an appointment and then go to the Register Office to give notice.

You and your partner must give notice at the Register Office in the District that you’ve both lived in for at least seven consecutive nights.

You must give notice at least 28 days before you get married or enter a civil partnership.

Foreign citizens might have to give up to 70 days’ notice. To find out how much notice you might need to give, call us on 0117 922 2800.

Book an appointment to give notice

Call us on 0117 922 2800.

Appointments for births and deaths: Lines are open 8.30am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. Closed Wednesday 12noon to 1.30pm.

Appointments for marriages or ceremonies: Lines are open 8.30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. Closed Wednesday 12noon to 1.30pm.


Giving notice costs £70 or £94, which you pay at your appointment.

You’ll be told which fee you’ll need to pay when you make an appointment.

Documents to take to the Register Office

You’ll need:

  • your passport (if you don’t have a passport call us on 0117 922 2800)
  • proof of address for each partner, this needs to be one of the follwing:
    • bank statement dated no more than 1 month before the appointment
    • utility bill dated no more than 3 months before the appointment
    • current council tax bill
    • mortgage statement or tenancy agreement
    • valid driving licence with the correct address shown
  • proof of your divorce or dissolution, if you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before. If your divorce was granted outside of the UK we’ll need the original document from that country along with an English translation if applicable
  • if either of you are a widow or widower we’ll need a certified copy of your former spouse’s death certificate and the marriage or civil partnership certificate, along with an English translation if applicable
  • if either of you are under 18 you’ll need consent from your parents or guardian. Each parent who is named on your birth certificate must give this consent. They’ll need to fill in a form which you can get from the Register Office and must fill in before your appointment
  • if you’re a non-EU national you need to bring evidence of your immigration status and a passport size photo of each of you

Getting married or civil partnered quickly

You can only get married or have a civil partnership quickly where one of you is terminally ill and is not expected to recover.

For Church of England ceremonies, you must contact a clergyman of the Church of England.

For a civil marriage or civil partnership ceremonies please contact the Superintendent Registrar of the district where the terminally ill person is currently located. Call us on 0117 922 2800 to find out who this is.

Contact information

The Bristol Register Office

The Old Council House

Corn Street

Bristol, BS1 1JG

Opening Hours

Opening Hours

Notices of Marriage and Civil Partnership are by appointment only.  

Please call the appointment line on 0117 922 2800 and select option 3.

Lines are open between 9am to 4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and 10am to 4pm on Wednesday.

Entrance on Broad Street. You can find an access guide on the DisabledGo website.

  • 9am to 4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. By appointment only
  • 10am to 4pm on Wednesday, evening appointments from 5pm to 7pm.
  • Saturday mornings by appointment only.

The call centre for making appointments for births and deaths is open between 8.30am and 6pm and closes on Wednesday afternoons between 12pm and 1.30pm.


Tel: General: 0117 922 2800. Naming Ceremonies and Renewal of Vows: 0117 922 2800.

Fax: 0117 903 8877