Ask to use an outside space next to your hospitality business
COVID-19: Ask to use an outside space next to your hospitality business
How to ask to use an outside space for business purposes, what you need to tell us, what happens after you contact us.
Hospitality businesses, such as pubs, restaurants and cafes can reopen from 4 July 2020. To help these businesses operate in a safe and economically viable way, we're considering requests from hospitality businesses to expand into an outside area that adjoins or is next to their premises.
What you can ask for
You can ask to use an outside space next to your business, such as the pavement, a car park or a green space, for business purposes.
This can include proposals to:
- close roads at certain times
- use more tables and chairs outside
Closing roads at certain times
We'll consider requests to close roads at certain times if:
- there are a lot of food and drink businesses in one area
- you need extra space for tables and chairs
- they won’t affect security or safety or stop emergency vehicles getting through
- they’ll help make social distancing possible
- they’ll support the local economy
We won't consider requests to close roads at certain times if:
- it would cause traffic congestion
- it would make the road unsafe or inaccessible
- the street is in a mainly residential area
- the street is part of the key route network
- it would have a negative impact on residents
Using tables and chair outside
We'll consider requests to use tables and chairs outside if:
- there’s enough space for them
- it’ll help make social distancing possible
We won't consider requests to use tables and chairs if it would block pavements for pedestrians and disabled users.
What you can't ask for
You won't be able to have customers standing and drinking outside if you don't already have a licence for it (vertical drinking).
Ask to use outside space
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- the name of your business
- your business address
- a brief summary of what space you’d like to use, how you’d like to use it and when
We’ll consider each request on a case by case basis and get back to you by email.