Voting at the referendum and guidance for campaigners.
A referendum was called on Thursday 5 May 2022 to determine how Bristol City Council is run.
The majority of those voting in the referendum voted in favour of one or more committees made up of elected councillors. This is a change from how the council is run now.
|Referendum option||Number of votes|
|In favour of a mayor who is elected by voters||38,439|
|In favour of one or more committees made up of elected councillors||56,113|
- pdf Notice: Proposal to hold a governance referendum (84 KB)
- pdf Notice: Details of the proposed alternative Committee model (113 KB)
- pdf Notice of referendum (8 KB)
- pdf Notice of poll (116 KB)
Guidance pack for campaigners
- pdf Guidance Pack for Campaigners: Bristol City Governance Referendum (569 KB)
- document Guidance Pack for Campaigners - Referendum Expenses template (48 KB)
It's recommended that campaigns are registered with the Counting Officer so that consideration can be given to allowing named representatives to be able to attend the count, polling stations and postal vote opening sessions.
If you have any campaign questions or to register your campaign, email firstname.lastname@example.org