What the annual canvass is, how to respond and what happens next.
The annual canvass is currently taking place.
Each year we're required to contact every household in Bristol to check whether we have the correct people registered to vote. This process is known as the ‘annual canvass'.
Depending on the contact details we hold for you and how up to date your household information is, you may receive an enquiry form in early August by:
Read it carefully.
How to respond
Read the information carefully to check:
- whether or not you need to respond
- that all the information is correct
It's quicker to respond using online or text options. You'll need your unique two part security code which will be included in your canvass communication.
Some properties only need to reply if there's a change. Your canvass communication will provide more information.
You can reply:
- online Go to http://www.householdresponse.com/bristol (opens new window)
- by telephone: 0800 197 9871 at any time, enter your two part security codes when prompted
- by text or SMS to 80212 and in the message type NO CHANGE followed by your security codes (standard network rates apply)
- by post, make sure you complete the form fully, provide all of the information requested and that you have signed the form
What happens next
The form lists everyone currently registered to vote at the property and we use this to update the information on the electoral register.
By completing and returning the form you are not registering to vote, only informing us of the names of the people who should be on the electoral register at the property.
- ADD someone to the form, they'll be sent a green Invitation to Register Form so that they can register to vote
- DELETE anyone from the form, we'll write to the individual to confirm they no longer live there
- are required to respond and fail to reply, we will send you a reminder
Special category electors
Your name will not appear on the form sent to the property if you're a special category elector, such as a service voter.
About the Electoral Register
The Electoral Register is not published in the months of October or November during the annual Canvass.
The revised register will be published on 1 December 2023. This is a statutory requirement.
If you have any questions about the form or your electoral registration, you can:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 0117 92 23400