Coronavirus (COVID-19) page header
what you need to know
Stay at home
- Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (where this absolutely cannot be done from home).
- Stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people.
- Wash your hands as soon as you get home.
- Do not meet others, even friends or family. You can spread the virus even if you don’t have symptoms.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) page accordion
- Schools are closed until further notice, except for children of key workers and vulnerable children.
- Free School Meals: some schools are providing Free School Meal vouchers
Births, deaths, marriages and citizenship
- Changes to register office services
- Guidance for funerals
- Cemeteries are closed, except for funerals
Citizen Service Point
We're only handling emergency cases at the Citizen Service Point.
Free parking for NHS staff and care workers
NHS staff and care workers can park for free in council car parks, pay and display street parking, and residents' parking zones
Libraries closed until 1 May 2020.
Sports and outdoors
- Leisure centres: closed
- Public events: cancelled until at least the end of July (read the press release)
- Parks: some facilities and services are closed
- St Nicholas Markets: closed
- Cemeteries: closed, except for funerals
Local council, Mayoral and Police and Crime Commissioner elections due to take place in May 2020 have been postponed for a year.
- Extremely vulnerable people: register for support on GOV.UK or call 0800 028 8327
- People with care and support needs: get advice on direct payments and personal assistants
- Financial help if you've lost your job or had an income drop because of COVID-19, including Council Tax
- Be aware of coronavirus scams and overpricing
- Information and support for businesses
- New business rates discounts
- List of businesses and venues ordered to close on GOV.UK
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 0800 694 0184 (freephone, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 2pm)
- Deaf BSL users can contact the phoneline through a BSL Interpreter using SignVideo
- Tell us about a business that isn't following the government's order to close: call 0117 922 2500
- Report a person or a business that's not following government social distancing restrictions on the Avon and Somerset Police website