How to report hate crime
If your report is to make a complaint about a council service or member of Bristol City Council's staff, please make a complaint or give feedback.
Hate crime is any incident based upon prejudice or hatred towards an individual because of their actual or perceived disability, faith, gender identity, race and sexual orientation. You can report a hate crime in Bristol here.
How to report hate crime or harassment
If there is an emergency please call the Police on 999, especially if the incident is happening or has just happened.
Reporting to the Police
- Telephone 999 (emergencies only).
- Telephone 101 (non-emergencies).
- Visit any Police Station. Please see the Avon and Somerset Constabulary website.
Reporting to the Bristol Hate Crime Service (BHCS)
Bristol City Council grant fund a Community Based Hate Crime Service for Bristol residents.
You can report any type of hate crime including racist, faith based, disablist, homophobic, transphobic, age or gender based. This service is provided by SARI in collaboration with the Brandon Trust, Bristol Mind and LGBT Bristol.
- Telephone our freephone reporting line: 0800 171 2272.
Reporting if you're a council tenant
If you are a council tenant you can also contact the Estate Management Service. For full information on the service you can expect please see our hate crime leaflet (pdf, 127 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 128k) (opens new window) .
- Telephone: 0117 922 2200 (Option four), Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6pm.
- Email: email@example.com.
- Fax: 0117 352 5104.
- Letter: Estate Management Service (100 TS), Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176, Bristol, BS3 9FS.
- Visit: any Customer Service Point.
- Tell any member of staff.
Information you will need to provide
- A description of the person(s) who carried out the hate crime.
- Details of any witnesses.
- Information about what happened, in as much detail as possible.
- A diary record of incidents if they happen more than once.
- Original copies of any letters or emails that you have received.
- Evidence of any damage to your home, car or possessions. If possible please report any damage before clearing it up.
The Community Trigger
You can use the Community Trigger Application if you’ve reported any anti-social behaviour, harassment or hate crime in the past but feel that your problem hasn’t been dealt with sufficiently.
If you’ve already reported the problem to the council, police, or another housing provider, the community trigger is a way for you to ask the agencies to review your case. It will make sure we work together to try to solve the problem.
You can use the community trigger by submitting an application using one of the following methods, it doesn’t matter which organisation you reported the original problem to:
Crime Reduction Team
BB, PO Box 595
Bristol City Council BS99 2BK
Call on 0117 9222500
Choose the reporting anti-social behaviour option and say you want to use the community trigger.
Please see the following websites and leaflet for more information.