Weather conditions update
We’ll keep this page updated with any services that are affected by weather, including the latest news on school openings.
Our information is regularly updated and is also sent to:
Waste and recycling collections
View Bins and recycling for more information and advice.
- Winter maintenance for roads, highways and pavements.
- Find your nearest grit bin.
- View map of priority gritting routes (pdf, 0.8 MB) (opens new window) (pdf, 794k) (opens new window) .
- Volunteer to be a snow warden.
- Tips and advice on clearing snow and ice on the GOV.UK website.
- First Bristol, Bath, Weston and the West – see the winter weather disruptions on the First Travel website.
- You can also find live travel updates on the Travelwest website and the First Bristol Twitter Feed.
- Service updates for Wessex services and Bristol City Council supported services 501, 502, 505, 506, 508, 511, 512, 513, 514 and 901 can be found on the Wessex Twitter Feed.
- For all other services please contact the relevant operator.
- Travel West on Twitter.
Park and Ride
- Bristol Ferry Boat Company – telephone 0117 9273416.
- Number Seven Boat Trips – telephone 0117 9293659.
The emergency number for the homeless is 0117 353 4007.
Each year, the council and partners operate a Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP) to find accommodation for people who would otherwise be sleeping rough in periods of particularly cold weather. This includes additional temporary hostel beds. The arrangements operate when temperatures are predicted to be zero centigrade or below for three nights in a row.
If you are worried about someone you think might be sleeping rough call St Mungo's Compass Centre on 944 0581 or contact the national rough sleeping helpline at 0300 500 0914 or visit the Street Link website.
Vulnerable and elderly people
If you're concerned about anybody in your area please contact Care Direct – telephone 0117 922 2700 during office hours. Out of hours and weekend emergencies contact Emergency Duty Team 01454 615 165.
Winter weather advice
Cemeteries and crematorium
See our Cemeteries page.
Children and young people
See our Child protection pages to contact one of our Social Work Assessment Teams.
Citizen service points
Visit one of our Citizen Service Points for latest information.
Elsewhere on the web
- GOV.UK - C Go to https://www.gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway (opens new window)
- Met Office - Snow code Go to http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/get-ready-for-winter/out-and-about/the-snow-code (opens new window)
- Travel West on Twitter Go to https://twitter.com/travelwestEng (opens new window)
- Met Office - Get ready for winter Go to http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/get-ready-for-winter (opens new window)
- Highways Agency Go to http://www.highways.gov.uk/ (opens new window)
- BBC five day f Go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/3 (opens new window)
- BBC weather news Go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news (opens new window)
- BBC travel news Bristol Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/bristol/ (opens new window)
- Met office - Bristol weather forecast Go to http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/bristol_forecast_weather.html (opens new window)
- GOV.UK - Find energy grants and help with heating costs Go to https://www.gov.uk/energy-grants-calculator (opens new window)
- Follow us on Twitter Go to http://www.twitter.com/BristolCouncil (opens new window)
- Follow us on Facebook Go to https://www.facebook.com/BristolCouncil (opens new window)