Report someone living in a bed in a shed
Report someone renting a shed, garage or garden shelter to live in
What a ‘bed in a shed’ is, how to tell us about someone paying to live in one, what we’ll do after you tell us
What a ‘bed in a shed’ is
A ‘bed in shed’ is a shed, garage, or shelter, typically in the garden of a property, that someone is paying to live in, that may not have planning permission or building control approval or doesn’t meet the basic legal standards for rental accommodation. For example, it might not:
- have adequate facilities, such as running water or toilets
- be big enough for the number of people living there
The person or people living there could also be vulnerable or at risk.
Tell us about someone renting a bed in a shed
If you’re concerned about someone renting a bed in a shed, you should tell us about it:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 0117 352 5010
You don’t have to give us your details.
What happens after you tell us
We’ll investigate and may take action against the landlord if:
- the accommodation doesn’t meet basic standards, so that they make improvements
- the accommodation doesn’t have planning permission
We don’t aim to make anyone homeless.
What to do if you’re living in a bed in a shed
If you’re living in a ‘bed in a shed’ you can:
- look for suitable accommodation with a private landlord
- find out what you can do if you’re at risk of being homeless
- tell us if you're also being harassed
- contact Shelter for help and advice