EU Settlement Scheme

EU Settlement Scheme

What EU Settlement Scheme is, how to apply and how to get help with identity verification

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you want to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

EU nationals and their family members who have lived continuously in the UK for five years should be entitled to  get Settled Status, meaning they are free to go on living and working in the UK indefinitely.

People with less than five years’ residence can get pre-settled status, which after five years of continuous stay can convert to settled status.

Deadline: 30 June 2021

Apply today or find help

Deadline for applications is 30 June 2021

Get advice and guidance

Community advice centres

Extra support is available from these community advice centres:

You'll need to contact the centres directly.

Your rights with settled or pre-settled status

You’ll be able to:

  • work in the UK
  • use the NHS for free, if you can now
  • enrol in education or continue studying
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK

When you can apply

Applications are open. We advise applying as soon as possible. 

The deadline is 30 June 2021.

All people wishing to apply will need to be a resident in the UK by 31 December 2020.

How to apply

The first thing you need to do is to verify your identity.

You will need:

  • an email address and phone number
  • A current, valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen. (If your passport is out of date you will need to apply for a new one. You can do this  at your home country’s embassy.)

How do I know if my passport is biometric

The simplest way to tell if your passport is biometric is to check that there is a gold camera logo at the bottom of your passport’s cover  If your passport carries this logo, this means that  your passport is biometric.

There are different ways to provide your passport, national identity card or biometric residence card or permit for us to check.

You can do it

  • by post
  • with the Android app
  • at an identity scanning point

To verify your identity by post you need to:

  1. Go to the Application form page
  2. Follow the instruction. When you’ll be asked about the way of verification choose By post and click continue
  3. Enter your document details.
  4. Upload a digital photo.
  5. Submit the application.
  6. Post your identity document to the address you’ll receive in a confirmation email after submitting your form.

You can’t do this if you’re outside the UK. If you are an EEA or Swiss national you can use your passport or a national identity card. If you are not an EEA or Swiss national you can use your passport or a biometric residence card or permit.

To verify your identity with an app

You can do this using the:

  • ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app for Android
  •  'ID Document Check’ beta app for iPhone 7 and newer models

The app will:

  • check that your identity document is genuine
  • verify that the document belongs to you

Information on how to use the app is on the Home Office website.

After successful verification, you’ll be able to make your application for pre-settled or settled status.

To verify your identity at an identity scanning point

If you can’t use the app, and don’t want to send your ID document, you can book an appointment at the Citizen Service Point and we’ll help you complete the verification process.

Identity verification appointments and advice

Email to arrange an appointment or to ask for further advice.

Appointments are at the Citizen Service Point, 100 Temple Street, Bristol, BS1 6AG
You can find an access guide for 100 Temple Street on the DisabledGo website.

At your appointment you will need:

  • your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • a mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive an email
  • an email address

Each person and  family member needs to attend the appointment in person with their passports so that we can verify them.


Verification of documents is free.

It is free to have your documents verified and then to apply to the scheme.

What happens next

It usually takes around 5 working days for applications to be processed, but it can take longer.

Your application is likely take longer to process if:

  • we need to request more information from you
  • you’re applying as a minor and your application is not linked to an adult
  • you submit a paper application
  • you have a relevant criminal record
  • you’re a non-EEA or non-Swiss citizen and are applying based on a relationship you haven’t relied on in a previous application to the Home Office

If your application is successful

The Home Office will email you a link to an online service that you can use to view and prove your status.

If your application is unsuccessful

  • You may be able to apply for an administrative review of the decision.
  • You can apply again at any time until 30 June 2021 (or until 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal).

Specialist help from the Official Settlement Resolution Centre 0300 123 7379

Translated information materials