Food conference: Innovation in the Costs of Catering
How to book your place on our sustainable food and catering procurement conference, 15 March 2018.
Innovation in the Costs of Catering is a conference exploring the issues around sustainable food and catering procurement with a focus on reducing carbon dioxide emissions.
The conference was held on Thursday 15 March 2018, attached below is a copy of the final programme and the presentations that were made.
- Final programme (pdf, 381k) (opens new window)
- Shortening supply chains and menu engineering for carbon reduction - Rich Osborn (pdf, 3.5MB) (opens new window)
- Improving supply chains to reduce carbon emissions - Mark Leach (pdf, 317k) (opens new window)
- Defra - Thomas Powell (pdf, 994k) (opens new window)
- Dynamic Food Procurement National Advisory Board - Jo Lewis (pdf, 1.2MB) (opens new window)
- Reducing Commercial Food Waste - Chloe Clarke (pdf, 2.2MB) (opens new window)
- Green Kitchen Standard - Liz Harding-Wyatt (pdf, 669k) (opens new window)
- Chefs Eye (pdf, 1MB) (opens new window)
- LeanPath-Innovation in the cost of catering (pdf, 1.3MB) (opens new window)
- Short film on local sourcing and cooking from scratch from Nottingham University
Conference aims and topics
This conference isorganised by the PIPEN and the West of England Food Procurement Group.
The aims are to:
- examine financial, health and environmental costs
- look at the issues associated with those costs
- provide practical approaches to do things differently in the kitchen
The topics covered in during the conference are:
Improving supply chains:
- Reducing carbon dioxide emissions through the food supply chain
- Supporting local producers through procurement
Improving the catering offering to reduce carbon dioxide:
- Reducing (but not excluding) meat consumption
- Creatively using better quality meat and dairy and more vegetables
Reducing food waste:
- Introducing the Green Kitchen Standard
- Reducing waste through effective procurement
- Minimising carbon dioxide emissions through good waste management
Key speakers and conference timetable
Two of our speakers are:
- Patrick Holden CBE, founder and chief executive of the Sustainable Food Trust
- Tim Martin, Executive Producer at the BBC's Natural History Unit
For more information on our key speakers and the conference timetable of events see our Innovation in the Costs of Catering flyer (pdf, 417k) (opens new window) .