Housing advice for ex-forces members

Housing advice for ex-forces members

What to do if you’ve left or are leaving the armed forces and you don’t have anywhere to live

Who you can contact

If you’ve left  or are leaving the armed forces and you’re homeless there are a number of agencies who can help you.

Ministry of Defence

If you think you may be homeless after you leave the armed forces, you should contact the Ministry of Defence's (MOD) housing advice service, the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) 

They run a referral scheme which may help you to find a housing association home.

You can apply if you’re:

The MOD runs the Veterans UK helpline which gives advice to veterans in a crisis.  

Military charities

Veterans' Gateway is a group of military charities. They can give you advice about organisations that can help you. 

You can also get help finding accommodation from:

These housing associations provide longer term housing for veterans: 

How we can help

We can help you if you have a :

You have a priority need

This might be because you have children living with you, you’re pregnant, or you’re vulnerable because of your time in the armed forces.

We’ll look at:

  • how long you were in the forces 
  • the role or job you had
  • when you left the forces
  • if you spent any time in a military hospital
  • if you were released from service on medical grounds (and have a Medical History Release Form)
  • if you’re disabled or seriously injured
  • if you have any kind of mental illness because of your time in the armed forces
  • if you’ve had anywhere to live since leaving the forces

You may need to provide medical evidence from the Ministry of Defence, including a Medical History Release Form if you were given one. 

You have a local connection Bristol

This can mean that you:

  • currently work in the area
  • have lived in the area for 6 out of the last 12 months, or three out of the last five years
  • live with a partner who currently works in the area

Contact us 

Call 0117 352 6800:

  • between 9am and 4pm: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
  • between 10am and 4pm: Wednesday

or email:

Staying where you are 

If you don’t let us know in good time, and are currently in services family accommodation (SFO), you may need to stay where you’re living as long as possible and wait until Ministry of Defence (MOD) Estates evict you. 

MOD Estates have to give you a Notice to Vacate before they can take you to court to get a possession order. You can use any Notice to Vacate and any possession order against you as evidence to support your homelessness application.

Apply for a council or housing association home

You can also apply for a council or housing association home on the Home Choice Bristol website.

As someone who is homeless and ex-armed forces, you’ll be put into Band 2.

You may move up a band if:

  • you’re suffering from a serious injury, illness or disability which was caused by your time in the forces
  • you’ve lost your accommodation provided by the MOD following the death of your spouse or civil partner whose death was caused by their time in the forces
  • you served in the army reserve and are suffering from a serious injury, illness or disability which was caused by your time in the reserves

We can also help you find a home with a private landlord