Knowle West Regeneration Framework
Knowle West Regeneration Framework
What the Knowle West Regeneration Framework is, projects we’re working on now and work we’ve done
What the Knowle West Regeneration Framework is
The Knowle West Regeneration Framework is a 20 year plan for meeting community aspirations for the area. Its development was overseen by the Knowle West Project Board, which included residents and ward councillors.
Following public consultation, the plan for the regeneration was approved by Cabinet and published in October 2012.
Further details on the Knowle West Regeneration Framework
A community vision for Knowle West (pdf, 714KB) (opens new window) was produced after public consultation. It lists 13 improvements central to achieving the aims of the Knowle West Regeneration Framework.
The spatial plan shown on the Knowle West regeneration framework (pdf, 1.1MB) (opens new window) plan shows the regeneration area.
The Knowle West Regeneration Framework baseline briefing (pdf, 14.7MB) (opens new window) summarises the analyses carried out across several areas for the Knowle West Regeneration Framework and the Outline Planning Application for Filwood Broadway.
The Knowle West Regeneration Framework investment principles (pdf, 559KB) (opens new window) set out the area-wide and area-specific proposals of the Framework.
A public art strategy for Knowle West (pdf, 3.6MB) (opens new window) shows how we’ll commission public art in Knowle West and associated Regeneration Framework.
Have your say in Knowle West developments
We work with many active community groups in Knowle West, including:
Together, they’ve developed a Pre Planning Protocol for Community Involvement that you can read about on the Knowle West Alliance website.
The protocol sets a process for developers to follow, to make sure the community have meaningful input on proposals early on.
If you’re a local resident interested in planning and new developments, you can contact or ask to join one of these groups. We work with them on new proposals and give quarterly updates on sites in Knowle West.
Proposals for Filwood Broadway
In March 2012, the Cabinet made several decisions about Filwood Broadway and an associated Framework document.
The Filwood Broadway Framework final report (pdf, 7.9MB) (opens new window) describes six important Broadway areas for development:
- former cinema and adjacent land: the old cinema building, containing asbestos, is being demolished (planning reference: 19/02647/N). Part of the area is proposed for new council homes and employment or community use on the ground floor. Further consultation on this project will take place in 2021.
- redesigning the pavements, roads and open public spaces
- a residential development on the former swimming pool site: LiveWest (formerly Knightstone Housing Association) won the bid for this site, with a proposal of 33 new homes for sale and rent. LiveWest will have a public consultation on this project in 2021.
- redevelopment of Filwood Community Centre: working with Community in Partnership and the Knowle West Media Centre, consultations were held in 2018 on the centre’s future.
- library site: if the library can be relocated on Filwood Broadway, this could be a suitable site for new homes
- reinvigorating Barnstable Court retail units (the council doesn’t own these)
In 2021, a Filwood Broadway Working Group is being formed by local residents. Contact the Knowle West Alliance if you’re a local resident interested in this.
Update on Novers Hill
We'll consult with local residents and Avon Wildlife Trust before developing plans any further for the development at Novers Hill, also known as Western Slopes.
Over the coming months we'll be carrying out:
- ecological surveys
- arboricultural (tree) surveys
- technical investigations
A full public consultation with local residents from South Bristol, especially those affected in Filwood and Bishopsworth, will go ahead in Spring 2022.
Previous feasibility and site survey work is found at the bottom of this page.
Update on Knowle West Health Park
Take part in our Autumn 2021 engagement
Visit the Health Park Homes website to give us your views on what you want to see built at Knowle West Health Park.
The engagement is open from 4 October to 22 November, 2021.
Why this consultation
In early 2021, we launched a consultation on proposals for new housing in Knowle West, including an initial vision for Knowle West Health Park.
Having considered the feedback from this consultation, we’re keen to take a step back and hear more from the community on the future of Knowle West Health Park.
Site surveys and previous studies on Knowle West Health Park and Novers Hill
- Novers Hill September 2019 Phase 1 Environmental Report Part 1 to 6 (pdf, 91MB) (opens new window)
- Novers Hill September 2019 Tree Constraints Plan (pdf, 8MB) (opens new window)
- Novers Hill October 2019 Feasibility Report Part 1 to 5 (pdf, 83.2MB) (opens new window)
- Novers Hill December 2019 Consultation Boards (pdf, 1.2MB) (opens new window)
- Novers Hill March 2020 Bat Report (pdf, 15.1MB) (opens new window)
- Knowle West Health Park August 2020 Ecology Report (pdf, 693KB) (opens new window)
- Knowle West Health Park April 2021 Arboriculture (tree) schedule and maps 001 and 002 (pdf, 6.4MB) (opens new window)
If you need these in an alternative format email email@example.com
We'll update this page when new surveys and studies become available. With the exception of ecology and arboriculture (tree) surveys, these will all be following further public consultation.
Other current projects in Knowle West
Development proposals and construction active in Knowle West include:
- Hartcliffe Way Recycling Centre: works have started to prepare the site for construction, and the centre is due to open in early 2022
- The Park secondary school: this new school will be run by Oasis and is being constructed by Skanska. Construction will be in 2022, due for completion in 2023.
- Knowle DGE Academy extension: construction of this new sixth form and 2 live-in units is underway and expected to be completed in 2021
- Kingswear: proposals for 34 new affordable council homes are being consulted upon. You can read more details on the Kingswear project.
- Knowle West Health Park: part of the site is proposed for housing. Public engagement on the potential for this has started. Read more details about the consultation on the Health Park Homes website.
- Leinster Avenue: a planning application (ref 20/03297/F) for this site for 71 new affordable homes is submitted and waiting for a planning decision
- Airport Road: 173 new homes are being constructed on this land by Boklok
Read the full list of projects that have been completed (pdf, 62KB) (opens new window) since the adoption of the Knowle West Regeneration Framework.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.