Knowle West Regeneration Framework
Knowle West Regeneration Framework
What the Knowle West Regeneration Framework is, projects we’re working on now and work we’ve done
What the Knowle West Regeneration Framework is
The Knowle West Regeneration Framework is a 20 year plan for meeting community aspirations for the area. Its development was overseen by the Knowle West Project Board, which included residents and ward councillors.
Following public consultation, the plan for the regeneration was approved by Cabinet and published in October 2012.
Further details on the Knowle West Regeneration Framework
A community vision for Knowle West was produced after public consultation. It lists 13 improvements central to achieving the aims of the Knowle West Regeneration Framework.
The spatial plan shown on the Knowle West regeneration framework plan shows the regeneration area.
The Knowle West Regeneration Framework baseline briefing summarises the analyses carried out across several areas for the Knowle West Regeneration Framework and the Outline Planning Application for Filwood Broadway.
The Knowle West Regeneration Framework investment principles set out the area-wide and area-specific proposals of the Framework.
A public art strategy for Knowle West shows how we’ll commission public art in Knowle West and associated Regeneration Framework.
Have your say in Knowle West developments
We work with many active community groups in Knowle West, including:
Together, they’ve developed a Pre Planning Protocol for Community Involvement that you can read about on the Knowle West Alliance website.
The protocol sets a process for developers to follow, to make sure the community have meaningful input on proposals early on.
If you’re a local resident interested in planning and new developments, you can contact or ask to join one of these groups. We work with them on new proposals and give quarterly updates on sites in Knowle West.
Proposals for Filwood Broadway
In March 2012, the Cabinet made several decisions about Filwood Broadway and an associated Framework document.
The Filwood Broadway Framework final report describes six important Broadway areas for development:
- former cinema and adjacent land: the old cinema building, containing asbestos, is being demolished (planning reference: 19/02647/N). Part of the area is proposed for new council homes and employment or community use on the ground floor. Further consultation on this project will take place in 2021.
- redesigning the pavements, roads and open public spaces
- a residential development on the former swimming pool site: LiveWest (formerly Knightstone Housing Association) won the bid for this site, with a proposal of 33 new homes for sale and rent. LiveWest will have a public consultation on this project in 2021.
- redevelopment of Filwood Community Centre: working with Community in Partnership and the Knowle West Media Centre, consultations were held in 2018 on the centre’s future.
- library site: if the library can be relocated on Filwood Broadway, this could be a suitable site for new homes
- reinvigorating Barnstable Court retail units (the council doesn’t own these)
In 2021, a Filwood Broadway Working Group is being formed by local residents. Contact the Knowle West Alliance if you’re a local resident interested in this.
Other current projects in Knowle West
Development proposals and construction active in Knowle West include:
- Hartcliffe Way Recycling Centre: works have started to prepare the site for construction, and the centre is due to open in early 2022
- The Park secondary school: this new school will be run by Oasis and is being constructed by Skanska. Construction will be in 2022, due for completion in 2023.
- Knowle DGE Academy extension: construction of this new sixth form and 2 live-in units is underway and expected to be completed in 2021
- Kingswear: proposals for 34 new affordable council homes are being consulted upon. You can read more details on the Kingswear project.
- Knowle West Health Park: part of the site is proposed for housing. Public engagement on the potential for this has started. Read more details about the consultation on the Health Park Homes website.
- Leinster Avenue: a planning application (ref 20/03297/F) for this site for 71 new affordable homes is submitted and waiting for a planning decision
- Airport Road: 173 new homes are being constructed on this land by Boklok
Read the full list of projects that have been completed since the adoption of the Knowle West Regeneration Framework.
Email email@example.com with any questions.