At risk of becoming homeless because of a non-violent breakdown in your relationship

At risk of becoming homeless because of a non-violent breakdown in your relationship

What to do if your relationship has broken down and you think you might have to move out or pay the rent or mortgage on your own

If your relationship breaks down, your housing rights can be complicated so you should seek legal advice.

The property is in someone else’s name

If you’re married or in a civil partnership and your relationship has broken down, you’re still allowed by law to stay in the property, even if it’s owned by the other person.

If you're not married or in a civil partnership with your partner, you might not have any rights. This means your partner can tell you to leave if the property is owned or rented.

What you should do

Get advice from a family law adviser about your property rights. There might be family law advisers at your local advice centre or citizens advice bureau.

You can contact a solicitor, but you’ll probably need to pay unless you’re a victim of domestic abuse. 

Your partner’s left and you can’t afford the rent or mortgage

You should get help from a money advice organisation to see if your home is affordable for you.

If your home isn't affordable you might need to find another place that’s cheaper to rent. Get advice about renting privately.

If you can't find anywhere that’s cheaper to rent you can get help through your support worker or visit our Citizen Service Point.

If you have a joint tenancy or own a property with your ex-partner you may still have rights to occupy the place you’re living in together.

Other organisations that might be able to help you

  • Shelter: advice for people who have experienced a relationship breakdown
  • Gingerbread advice and support to single parents. Free helpline: 0808 802 0925