Support service for vulnerable tenants

Help for vulnerable adults

The Tenant Support Service (TSS) helps vulnerable adults if their housing is at risk or if they need support to set up a new tenancy.

Vulnerable adults include people with:

  • learning difficulties or physical and sensory impairment
  • drug or alcohol issues
  • domestic abuse
  • rough sleepers and homelessness
  • refugees
  • older people
  • ex offenders
  • people with HIV/Aids
  • mental health issues

We can can help private tenants, council tenants, housing association tenants and homeowners.

How you can apply to receive help

  • Contact us by telephone on 0117 35 21800 (general enquiries) or freephone 0800 0730 271 (clients only).
    We can complete an online referral via the Housing Support Register for you.
  • Bristol City Council tenants can contact their Estate and Rents Officer to complete a referral.
  • Housing Association tenants can contact their landlord for a referral.
  • Visit a Citizen Service Point.

What happens after that

Once you are on the Housing Support Register you will have to wait until a support provider contacts you to offer you an assessment.

The length of time you have to wait depends on your priority for support.

If you are on a low priority we will give you information on where you can get advice whilst you are waiting.

Please contact us if your circumstances change such as:

  • Change of contact details.
  • You have moved into a new tenancy.
  • Your circumstances have worsened.

Advice sessions

We offer drop-in and bookable advice sessions while you are on the waiting list for support.

Call us on 0117 352 1800 or  0800 0730 271 to find out when the next session is.

How we help

We support you to:

  • deal with debts, including rent arrears
  • resettle into a new home
  • apply for benefits
  • sort out bills and develop budgeting skills
  • access services
  • find training, education, employment and leisure opportunities

We offer support through:

  • one to one support
  • group skills sessions
  • drop-in and bookable advice sessions (see TSS advice sessions below).

Volunteer with us

We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help our vulnerable clients find training, recreation, education and employment (TREE) opportunities.

For more information on this volunteer opportunity see our TREE Advisor Advert (pdf, 29 KB) (opens new window) and Role Description (pdf, 80 KB) (opens new window) .

To apply, complete the TREE Advisor Application Form (msword, 145 KB) (opens new window) and return:

  • by email to or
  • by post to Tenant Support Service (100TS/3N) Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176, BS3 9FS

If you have any questions, call Gill for an informal chat on 0117 35 21800. In Gill’s absence please ask for Kate.

Further help and advice

Housing and welfare advice

Health and support

Utilities and repairs