Chief Executive and Strategic Managers
The Strategic Management team are and what they are responsible for.
The day to day management of the council and its services is carried out by the Strategic Leadership Team consisting of the Interim Chief Executive and four Strategic Directors.
Interim Chief Executive
Stephen Hughes is the Interim Chief Executive. He was previously Chief Executive at Birmingham City Council.
Directorates and Directors
The council is made up of four areas called directorates; Neighbourhoods, People, Place and Business Change.
Alison Comley is the Strategic Director for Neighbourhoods. She is responsible for:
- management and maintenance of around 28,000 Council Homes in Bristol
- neighbourhoods and communities: the library service in Bristol and neighbourhood partnerships
- public health
- customer services
- co-ordination of Bristol’s response to crime, community safety and anti social behaviour.
- parks and green spaces
call: 0117 353 7860
John Readman is the Strategic Director for People. He is responsible for:
- education and skills
- providing early help and support to families to reduce problems later on
- social care and support for adults including the elderly
- safeguarding vulnerable adults and children
- care and support for children in care
- support for carers
- commissioning services
call: 0117 903 7960
Barra Mac Ruairi is the Strategic Director for Place. He is responsible for:
- economy including culture and major projects such as the Arena
- property which includes managing our 835 buildings and land, the City Docks, property management of 600+ leased properties and facilities management of council buildings
- transport including the introduction of Metrobus
call: 0117 35 25558
Anna Klonowski is the Interim Strategic Director for Business Change. This is business change within Bristol City Council to make services effective and innovative. She is responsible for:
- business change and ICT
- human resources
- legal services
- policy, strategy and communications
Tel: 0117 357 4451