Request and reserve items
You can request and reserve library items online or in person
Request or reserve items online
- Find the item in the library catalogue and then choose the 'Add to basket' button.
- You will need your library card and PIN.
Request or reserve items in the library
- If you would like to request a book or other item, please ask the staff, who will do their best to help even if the item is not immediately available for you.
- You can search the online catalogue to see if we have the item in stock.
- We are happy to obtain items from other LibrariesWest libraries for you, for which there may be a charge.
- If a book, play or music set is not available in LibrariesWest, we can try to obtain the item from a library further afield. This service may take some time, and there will be a charge.
- Please let the staff have as many details as possible about the book. A photocopy of the source of your information is particularly helpful.
- If we do not have a copy of the book, we will try to get it for you from another part of the country. Novels are not available on this type of loan.
- Sometimes books are too rare to be borrowed and you may need to travel to see them, or they may be provided for use in the library only.
- If there is a book you would like us to consider buying, let us know.
Spoken word cassettes
- You can request spoken word cassettes held in any LibrariesWest library.
- Blind and visually impaired people can obtain these from libraries outside LibrariesWest through the national Bee Aware scheme.
CDs, DVDs, CD-ROMs, spoken word CDs and videos
- You can request these if they are held in any LibrariesWest library.
- The only exceptions are Big Picture DVDs (listed as 'Premium').
- If there is a CD, DVD, CD-ROM or spoken word CD you would like us to consider buying, let us know.
- We can obtain excerpts from magazines and periodicals. These are usually photocopies of the original article.
- Staff will need full details of the article, including author, title, volume and page numbers.
- In addition to the reservation charge, there is also a per-page charge for the photocopy, which you can then keep.
- Some theses may be borrowed. Staff will need full details of the thesis.
- On receipt of the thesis the user will be asked to sign a copyright declaration form.
- You can place requests for sheet music held in any LibrariesWest library. Our collection is held at the Central Library.
- If a piece of music is not held by any LibrariesWest libraries, we will try to get it for you from another part of the country.
Plays: one copy
- You can request single copies of plays held in any LibrariesWest library.
- If we do not have a copy of the play, we will try to get it for you from another part of the country.
- Sets of orchestral parts and multiple copies of vocal scores may only be borrowed by registered groups. The service operates from the Central Library.
- If these items are not held by any LibrariesWest library, we will try to get it for you from another part of the country.
- Full information is required about the piece of music requested, namely:
- Composer – with initials if necessary to avoid confusion.
- Title – to include opus number and key if known.
- Edition/Arrangement/Language – if appropriate.
- Number of vocal scores or libretti required.
- Dates required from and until.
- A booking service operates for the loan of performance sets. Bookings can be accepted up to one year before the required date. You are advised to book as early as possible, stating the full loan period required up to a maximum of six months. Renewals are not normally possible.
- Play sets may only be borrowed by registered groups. This is a charged service.
- It is possible to borrow from the drama collections of libraries in the South West to satisfy requests for play sets which are not in Bristol's stock.
Make a suggestion
If there is a book, CD or DVD you would like us to consider buying, or if there is a subject you think is under-represented on our shelves, let us know. You can email your suggestions to email@example.com. Please put 'stock suggestion' in the subject line.
All your suggestions will be passed to the relevant librarians.
- When you make a request (reservation) for an item, the search for that item is made across LibrariesWest.
- LibrariesWest is the name for the public library services of Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset and South Gloucestershire. It's also the name of our joint online catalogue.