Changes to licences involving animals

Changes to licences involving animals

Who the new licences will affect and what you need to do

On 1 October 2018, the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into force. This changes the way some activities involving animals are licensed and regulated.

Who it affects

If you carry out any of these activities, you’ll need a licence.

The new regulations affect anyone who:

  • sells pets, including pet shops, suppliers and wholesalers
  • has a boarding kennel or boards dogs in their own home. This now includes dog day care
  • breeds and sells dogs
  • has a cattery
  • hires out horses 
  • exhibits or has performing animals

If you have a licence

If you have an existing valid licence, you don't need to renew it until your licence expires. 

If you have a boarding licence and you look after dogs in the day, you’ll need to get a new licence as soon as you can.

If you have a performing animals licence, you’ll have to apply for a new one even if your old one hasn’t expired by that date.

If you don’t have a licence or you need a new one

If you need a new licence, you can apply now. 
Phone: 0117 9222500 (option 2)

Guidance from Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)