Property licences for landlords

Some private rented properties need to be licensed before their owners can rent them out.

HMO Licensing scheme consultation:
19 February 2018 to 13 May 2018.

This is a consultation for all 12 central Bristol wards.

We propose to introduce an additional licensing scheme for houses in multiple occupation.

It would apply to all private rented houses or flats in this area that are let to three or more people who aren’t related and who share some facilities, like kitchens or bathrooms.

Visit our HMO licensing scheme consultation page to give us your views.

Apply for a licence

If you're a landlord in the Stapleton Road area, the Eastville and St George area  or a landlord of a large three storey house in multiple occupation, fill in the rented property licence application form. Agents can fill in the form on behalf of landlords.

Fit and proper person declaration

Each additional person involved in the management of property requiring a licence under the Housing Act 2004 needs to complete the fit and proper person declaration form.


There is a cost for a licence. The licence normally lasts for five years, and the cost covers the full five year period. Full details can be found on the individual licence pages.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. Contact us at any time after submitting your licence application.


This property licensing appeals document (pdf, 345k) (opens new window) sets out the appeals procedure in relation to Bristol City Council  property licensing.

Landlord Development Programme

It's a condition of property licensing to complete the Landlord Development Programme. Find out about the Landlord Development Programme at the West of England Housing website.

Copies of licences

To request a copy of your licence after it's been issued, email us at  It costs £24 for each copy.

Licensing in Eastville and St George

You can look at a notice confirming the designation of Eastvillle and St George for additional and selective licensing (pdf, 47k) (opens new window) .

On 2 February 2016, Cabinet declared that Eastville and St George West wards are areas where rented properties will need a licence under the Housing Act 2004. You can read the minutes from the meeting on 2 February 2016.

New additional and selective licensing schemes started on 1 July 2016 and will run for five years.

If you’re a private landlord renting out properties in these areas, you’ll need a licence.

Look at a map of the Eastville and St George licensing areas on Pinpoint.

Bristol private housing stock 2017

Building Research Establishment Stock report 2017 (pdf, 17.6MB) (opens new window)

This is report by the Building Research Establishment on the Private Housing Stock in Bristol 2017.