Make a building regulations full plans application
You can make a full plans application for any type of building work but must always be submitted for works on commercial buildings, schools, shops, offices, railway premises, factories and hotels
If you’ve already started work you’ll need to make a regularisation application.
How to apply
Online with iApply
iApply is the fastest way to apply as your application is created in our database.
You can drag and drop multiple plans and documents as one process.
Before you can use iApply you must first create a user account.
iApply includes links to pay the fee via our website or by phone.
For advice see our short guide on using iApply (pdf, 895k) (opens new window)
What fee is payable
Check the fee charges (pdf, 64k) (opens new window) to find out the cost of your application before applying.
Submitting your application
To submit your application you must select next at the top of the page once all sections have been completed. You must then select I accept and submit. Otherwise the application will remain as draft.
Other ways to apply
You can also submit an application using our online form:
You’ll need to include:
completed application form
- the first part of the total fee (pdf, 64k) (opens new window) (opens new window) , the second part of the total fee is payable after the first visit to site and where applicable we'll send you an invoice for the inspection fee at this stage
- detailed drawings of the proposed building work drawn to a scale of not less than 1:100
- site or location plan drawn to a scale of not less than 1:1250 showing the proposal and site boundaries
- any specification that accompanies the drawings
You may also need to include:
- estimated cost of work
- structural design and calculations
What happens next
We’ll check your application in detail and give you a formal decision notice within five weeks.
Once you get your formal decision notice, you can submit a commencement notice two days before the work starts. We then inspect the work on site.
See book a site inspection for more information.
Building Regulations and Standards
Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176
Bristol, BS3 9FS
Appointments are at:
Tel: 0117 922 3000