Local carbon framework pilot
Local carbon framework pilot
During 2010/11 we participated in the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC)’s Local Carbon Framework pilot programme and secured funding to conduct nine projects:
- Carbon costing toolkit for assessing costs and CO2 savings of Local Carbon Frameworks.
- Critical local authority leadership skills development for Local Carbon Framework delivery, including training materials useful for developing low carbon understanding and skills.
- Undertaking a carbon footprint study of Bristol City Council’s procurement including outsourced services and guidance for other local authorities seeking to undertake a carbon footprint analysis of procurement.
- Smart City Bristol: an analysis of how ICT and digital infrastructure can contribute towards Bristol’s carbon targets.
- Progressing area based solar schemes: an analysis of solar resource mapping techniques, a worked Bristol example identifying the resource potential and guidance on solar schemes for schools and community groups.
- Developing a standard methodology for an area based energy, climate and peak oil resilience strategy and plan.
- Community energy support programme: an ongoing project aimed at understanding the role of community energy projects and supportive mechanisms to assist them in their goals.
- Community pathways to action on climate change mapping exercise, identifying the roles and relationships that communities have in mitigating and adapting to climate change with their stakeholders.
- A sub-regional approach to sustainable energy resources researches the costs of sustainable buildings standards (Code for Sustainable Homes) and how this might affect the viability of development.
A more detailed overview of the projects in Bristol and available outputs from these projects can be found on the right hand side of this page, with numbering corresponding to the project number above. These projects have informed work processes within the council and led to further specific projects, including:
- Carbon costing analysis is being used to inform and identify potential costs and carbon savings of the 2011/15 framework.
- The council are now identifying smart opportunities for integrating smart processes into energy, transport and communications infrastructure.
- An interactive solar map will soon be available together with guidance on solar generation, allowing people to identify the potential gross unshaded roof resource of their building and estimates of solar generation details.
- An energy, climate and peak oil resilience plan and strategy are being developed for Avonmouth and Severnside.
- A web platform will launch the community pathways to action on climate change.
Elsewhere on the web
- DECC Local Carbon Frameworks Go to http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121217150421/http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/tackling/saving_energy/what_doing/local_councils/carbon_frames/carbon_frames.aspx (opens new window)
- 4 Smart City Bristol Final Report (with audio track) Go to http://www.slideshare.net/Bristolcc/bristol-smart-city-report-7579696 (opens new window)
- 4 Smart City Bristol Benchmark report Go to http://www.slideshare.net/Bristolcc/smart-city-benchmark (opens new window)
- Overview of Bristol LCF Pilot Programme (pdf, 36 KB) (pdf, 37KB) (opens new window)
- 1 Carbon Costing Toolkit User Guide (pdf, 0.6 MB) (pdf, 623KB) (opens new window)
- 1 Carbon Toolkit v1.1 (vnd.ms-excel, 5.0 MB) (spreadsheet, 5MB) (opens new window)
- 2 Training Needs Analysis on Climate Change (pdf, 0.7 MB) (pdf, 742KB) (opens new window)
- 2 Review of Southwest Planners Toolkit (pdf, 0.6 MB) (pdf, 661KB) (opens new window)
- 2 Guidance on doing Training Needs Analysis (pdf, 397 KB) (pdf, 398KB) (opens new window)
- 3 BCC Carbon Footprint of Procurement (pdf, 494 KB) (pdf, 494KB) (opens new window)
- 3 Guidance on Procurement Carbon Footprinting (pdf, 293 KB) (pdf, 294KB) (opens new window)
- 5 - Bristol Sunshine: An Analysis of Rooftop Solar Mapping (pdf, 0.7 MB) (pdf, 709KB) (opens new window)
- 5 Guidance for schools and communities on free PV (pdf, 6.3 MB) (pdf, 6.3MB) (opens new window)
- 5 Engaging schools in energy behaviour and PV (pdf, 133 KB) (pdf, 134KB) (opens new window)
- 6 Methodology for Undertaking a Local Area Assessment (pdf, 1.0 MB) (pdf, 1MB) (opens new window)
- 6 Avonmouth and Severnside Case Study (pdf, 0.9 MB) (pdf, 931KB) (opens new window)
- 8 Bristol Community Energy Mapping (pdf, 1.8 MB) (pdf, 1.8MB) (opens new window)
- 9 Sustainable Buildings Standards Evidence Base (pdf, 4.4 MB) (pdf, 4.4MB) (opens new window)