About the council tax rebate, who can get it and what you need to do.

The government announced a council tax rebate of £150 for households living in properties in council tax bands A to D.

A discretionary fund was also allocated as part of the scheme and will support households living in Bristol:

  • in bands E to H
  • in bands A to D who are not eligible for the rebate

Make sure you complete the correct form. If you don't, this could slow down the processing of your payment.

Apply for council tax rebate payment

Complete the online form and submit your bank details if you have not received your council tax rebate payment (or credit to your council tax account) and you:

  • were living in a band A to D property on 1 April 2022
  • are named on the council tax bill, even if you do not pay because you're on the council tax reduction scheme or are exempt for certain reasons

Apply for council tax rebate

The deadline for council tax rebate applications is Wednesday 31 August.

Your bank details will be checked when you complete the form. In some cases we will not be able to confirm them, even if they're correct.

You'll be given the option to credit your council tax account, or you can close the form and call the Citizen Service Centre for help on 0117 922 2900.

Once you've submitted your bank details, payment could take up to two weeks to go into your bank account.

If you choose to have the £150 credited to your council tax account, the rebate will be evenly distributed across your remaining instalments for the year, meaning you will pay less each month. You'll be sent a new bill.

Bank details submitted on the form will only be used for the rebate and not future payments of council tax, unless you request this.

Discretionary fund payments

Only one application can be made per household.

You may be eligible for a one-off payment of £150 if:

  • you occupied an address within the Bristol City Council area as your sole or main residence on 1 April 2022 AND
  • you pay your energy costs directly to the energy supplier by bill or pre-payment meter (not as part of your rent)

You must meet at least ONE of the following:

  • You live in a property in bands E to H and:
    • are of state pension age OR
    • you live in shared accommodation or a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
  • You live in a property in bands A to D and:
    • you live in shared accommodation, or a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) and your landlord is liable for the council tax on your home OR
    • your property was re-banded in Band A to D after 1 April 2022, following an application made before 3 February 2022

Apply for discretionary fund payment

You will need to upload ID and evidence you pay an energy supplier, like a bill.

If you meet one of the other criteria in our  pdf Discretionary Fund Policy (133 KB) we will be contacting you separately, you do not need to apply.

We have to make all payments for the discretionary fund payment before the end of November 2022.

Help completing the forms

If you're unable to complete the forms online, call 0117 922 2900. You'll need your council tax account number and bank details.

Council tax rebate scams

We're aware there have been reports of council tax scams in relation to the £150 council tax rebate.

If you receive a phone call requesting your bank details in exchange for the £150 rebate, do not pass these on.

Financial support

If you're in financial difficulty and are worried about paying your council tax bill, visit our Benefits and financial help page.

How to return a council tax rebate received in error

If you've received a payment in error, please return your payment of £150 to:

Bank Account: 41322266

Sort Code: 56-00-05

Reference: You will need to quote your council tax account number followed by S000025 with no gaps.

How to ensure a bank doesn't use a council tax rebate to pay off an overdraft

If you have an overdraft, you can exercise your ‘right of appropriation' to stop the payment being used against it.

This is a temporary measure under common law, allowing you to earmark funds for specific essential bills, for example: 

  • your rent
  • your mortgage
  • your gas or electricity

You'll need to put this request in writing to your bank or building society and list the bills you need to be earmarked. A sample letter can be found at Nationwide Debtline.

When you make a first ‘right of appropriation' request, your bank can make a decision to either freeze your account and/or remove an overdraft facility if you have one. You need to make sure that you can manage either or both of these situations before you make the request.

Donating your rebate

We're conscious that some households may not feel they need the council tax rebate. We'll be offering a scheme that enables people to donate all or part of it to help support those who are most in need in the city.

If you'd like to find out more, email counciltaxforms@bristol.gov.uk. It will not affect the provision of the rebate but will enable them to make a direct donation to local crisis funding.