What the Knowle West Regeneration Framework is, projects we're working on now and work we've done.
What the Knowle West Regeneration Framework is
The Knowle West Regeneration Framework is a 20 year plan for meeting community aspirations for the area. Its development was overseen by the Knowle West Project Board, which included residents and ward councillors.
Following public consultation, the plan for the regeneration was approved by Cabinet and published in October 2012.
Further details on the Knowle West Regeneration Framework
A pdf community vision for Knowle West (713 KB) was produced after public consultation. It lists 13 improvements central to achieving the aims of the Knowle West Regeneration Framework.
The spatial plan shown on the pdf Knowle West regeneration framework plan (1.15 MB) shows the regeneration area.
The pdf Knowle West Regeneration Framework baseline briefing (14.67 MB) summarises the analyses carried out across several areas for the Knowle West Regeneration Framework and the Outline Planning Application for Filwood Broadway.
The pdf Knowle West Regeneration Framework investment principles (559 KB) set out the area-wide and area-specific proposals of the Framework.
A pdf public art strategy for Knowle West (3.65 MB) shows how we'll commission public art in Knowle West and associated Regeneration Framework.
Have your say in Knowle West developments
We work with many active community groups in Knowle West, including:
- the Knowle West Alliance Go to https://knowlewestalliance.co.uk/ (opens new window)
- Knowle West Future Go to https://www.knowlewest.co.uk/kwandf/ (opens new window)
Together, they've developed a Pre Planning Protocol for Community Involvement Go to https://knowlewestalliance.co.uk/knowle-west-pre-planning-protocol/ (opens new window) that you can read about on the Knowle West Alliance website.
The protocol sets a process for developers to follow, to make sure the community have meaningful input on proposals early on.
If you're a local resident interested in planning and new developments, you can contact or ask to join one of these groups. We work with them on new proposals and give quarterly updates on sites in Knowle West.
Proposals for Filwood Broadway
Have your say
Take part in the community-led co-design workshop for Filwood Broadway on Saturday 22 January 2022.
The workshop is your chance to reshape the high street. This will include changes to the street, spaces and play area.
The workshop is free, but you need to book.
In March 2012, the Cabinet made several decisions about Filwood Broadway and an associated Framework document.
The pdf Filwood Broadway Framework final report (7.90 MB) describes six important Broadway areas for development:
- former cinema and adjacent land: the old cinema building, containing asbestos, is being demolished (planning reference: 19/02647/N). Part of the area is proposed for new council homes and employment or community use on the ground floor. Further consultation on this project will take place in 2021.
- redesigning the pavements, roads and open public spaces
- a residential development on the former swimming pool site: LiveWest Go to https://www.livewest.co.uk/ (opens new window) (formerly Knightstone Housing Association) won the bid for this site, with a proposal of 33 new homes for sale and rent. LiveWest will have a public consultation on this project in 2021.
- redevelopment of Filwood Community Centre: working with Community in Partnership Go to https://filwoodcentre.org.uk/community-in-partnership-knowle-west/ (opens new window) and the Knowle West Media Centre Go to https://kwmc.org.uk/ (opens new window), consultations were held in 2018 on the centre's future.
- library site: if the library can be relocated on Filwood Broadway, this could be a suitable site for new homes
- reinvigorating Barnstable Court retail units (the council doesn't own these)
In 2021, a Filwood Broadway Working Group is being formed by local residents. Contact the Knowle West Alliance Go to https://knowlewestalliance.co.uk/ (opens new window) if you're a local resident interested in this.
Update on Novers Hill
As a result of the findings of the most recent pdf ecological report (3.46 MB) and in discussion with Avon Wildlife Trust, plans to build homes on Western Slopes have been scaled back to protect the important wildlife corridor and meadow and grassland habitats.
A much smaller number of homes (around 70) will now be brought forward to meet the need for new homes in the area, while protecting the areas with the highest ecological value. The rest of the site will remain as green space.
Update on Knowle West Health Park
Take part in our Autumn 2021 engagement
Visit the Health Park Homes website to give us your views on what you want to see built at Knowle West Health Park.
The engagement is open from 4 October to 22 November, 2021.
Why this consultation
In early 2021, we launched a consultation on proposals for new housing in Knowle West, including an initial vision for Knowle West Health Park.
Having considered the feedback from this consultation, we're keen to take a step back and hear more from the community on the future of Knowle West Health Park.
Site surveys and previous studies on Knowle West Health Park and Novers Hill
- pdf Novers Hill September 2019 Tree Constraints Plan (7.97 MB)
- pdf Novers Hill October 2019 Feasibility Report Part 1 to 5 (83.17 MB)
- pdf Novers Hill December 2019 Consultation Boards (1.24 MB)
- pdf Novers Hill March 2020 Bat Report (15.06 MB)
- pdf Knowle West Health Park August 2020 Ecology Report (692 KB)
- pdf Knowle West Health Park April 2021 Arboriculture (tree) schedule and maps 001 and 002 (6.37 MB)
If you need these in an alternative format email firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll update this page when new surveys and studies become available. With the exception of ecology and arboriculture (tree) surveys, these will all be following further public consultation.
Other current projects in Knowle West
Development proposals and construction active in Knowle West include:
- Hartcliffe Way Recycling Centre: works have started to prepare the site for construction, and the centre is due to open in early 2022
- The Park secondary school: this new school will be run by Oasis and is being constructed by Skanska. Construction will be in 2022, due for completion in 2023.
- Knowle DGE Academy extension: construction of this new sixth form and 2 live-in units is underway and expected to be completed in 2021
- Kingswear: proposals for 34 new affordable council homes are being consulted upon. You can read more details on the Kingswear project.
- Knowle West Health Park: part of the site is proposed for housing. Public engagement on the potential for this has started. Read more details about the consultation on the Health Park Homes website Go to https://healthparkhomes.com/ (opens new window).
- Leinster Avenue: a planning application (ref 20/03297/F) for this site for 71 new affordable homes is submitted and waiting for a planning decision
- Airport Road: 173 new homes are being constructed on this land by Boklok
Read the full list of pdf projects that have been completed (61 KB) since the adoption of the Knowle West Regeneration Framework.
Email email@example.com with any questions.