What to do if you want to hold an event or activity at one of our libraries.
We welcome enquiries about holding your own events and activities at one of our libraries.
We'll consider your enquiry in line with the Bristol library strategy, giving priority to events or activities that complement our aims and objectives.
Who can hold an event at a library
We can host events run by individuals or organisations, for example:
- local organisations
- partners and community groups
- friends' groups
What events or activities you can hold at a library
Types of events or activities you could hold include:
- events to promote literacy and reading, for example author events, reading groups, creative writing courses
- children's activities, for example music clubs, family art classes, coding clubs
- arts and cultural events, for example lectures, film screenings, art therapy workshops
- social events to support health and wellbeing, for example coffee mornings, reminiscence groups, advice sessions
- display stand or stall (as long as it's not considered political or could cause offence)
What we can provide
You can book:
- some libraries as whole venues
- specific areas and meeting rooms if available
Check what spaces, rooms and capacities you could book.
We can provide equipment, including:
- technical equipment, for example a PA system and microphone
- furniture, for example tables and chairs
- urns for hot drinks
We can also help you find people to provide catering if you need it.
What you need to provide
To hold an event in a library, you'll need:
- your own public liability insurance
- a risk assessment
- a DBS check for everyone hosting the event or activity, if children, young people or vulnerable adults will be at your event
We'll ask you to provide these either in person or by email, as part of the booking process.
We can help you with the process of getting these.
How much it costs
You can hold events or activities at most libraries for free, unless:
- it costs the library money, for example extra staffing for events outside normal staffed hours
- the event or activity is for commercial gain
There are hire charges as standard for:
- Clifton Library Meeting Room
- the Central Library Meeting Rooms
- the Junction 3 Library rooms and facilities
When we get your form, we'll contact you to talk about your event and any charges that may apply
What we need to know
You need to tell us:
- who your event is for
- what type of event it is
- which library or libraries you'd like to use
- how we can help you
- any equipment you need
- any additional requirements you have, for example accessibility adjustments such as large keyboards for computers