Barton House evacuation: information for residents.

The travel support that's available if you're 16 years old or over, and in further education.

Invoices for the post 16 contribution towards home to school and college travel have been sent out from 16 October 2023.

For details on how to pay check the back of the invoice.

If you would like to set up a payment plan to pay in instalments, call 0117 352 1404.

If you're on a low income, you may qualify for a 16 to 19 bursary to help fund travel costs. You will need to speak directly to your education provider to find out more, including if you qualify.

You can only get travel support if you're 16 to 25 and have special educational needs or need medical or physical help.

We only offer support for students going to: sixth forms and colleges.

If you're doing an apprenticeship or traineeship your learning provider is responsible for meeting any reasonable expenses. 

The travel support

The support we offer is partially funded financial assistance.

You'll need to pay £400 which can be divided into five equal payments of £80 to cover the six terms of the academic year. 

Private transport, such as a taxi, will only be provided where there is no other suitable choice.

Who can apply for post 16 travel support

If you're 16 to 19 years old you can apply for travel support if you:

  • go to the nearest post 16 provider that has the course you need
  • are studying a full time course
  • have either:
    • a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEND)
    • an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
    • a medical or physical difficulty so you're unable to walk 3 miles accompanied

If you're 19 to 25 years old then you must meet this criteria but our decision to give support will be decided on a case by case basis.

If you get a SEND statement or ECHP after you've started your course

You should try to get a SEND statement or EHCP before you start your course.

You can apply for travel support if you get a SEND statement or a EHCP after you've started your course but:

  • your application will be considered based on your age and journey length
  • you'll need to supply medical evidence with your application

Courses outside the Bristol area

If your school or college is outside the Bristol Local Authority area, you should still apply to us.

We may offer a Personal Travel Budget (PTB) instead.

Distance to your school or college

Contact us if you want to study a course that is beyond the daily travel distance.

Apply for post 16 school travel support

To apply for post 16 travel support:

You must apply for this travel support for each year of post 16 education.

Application deadline

You should apply for travel support by 31 July each year.

If you apply after this date we can't guarantee that support will be ready for the start of the academic year.


You can appeal if your application has been turned down.

All applications for travel support are considered in line with our pdf post 16 school travel support policy (117 KB) .

To appeal you must 

  • tell us the reason why you're appealing
  • send us any supporting evidence such as a medical report

You can:

Other support

You may be able to apply for a 16 to 19 year old bursary to help with expenses, such as travel costs.

Visit bursary fund (GOV.UK) to see if you're eligible.