Infant to junior school transfer

Infant to junior school transfer

When you need to apply for your child to transfer from infant to junior school and how to apply.

You need to apply for a transfer from an infant school to a junior if the junior school isn’t paired with the infant school your child currently attends.

You don’t need to apply for a junior school if your child attends these schools unless you want your child to attend a different junior school:

  • Broomhill
  • Chester Park
  • Elmlea
  • Henleaze
  • Sefton Park
  • Wicklea Academy

Your child will automatically transfer to the above school’s paired junior school.

Apply for a transfer

If your child's infant school is not paired with the junior school or you want to apply to a different junior school than the paired school you need to apply for an infant to junior transfer.

How to apply


Apply online from 12 September for September 2022 admissions.

Apply for infant to junior transfer for Sept 2022

You'll need to register for an account on our Parent Portal admissions system. You’ll get an email confirmation of your application.

If your child  has an Education, Health and Care Plan don't apply to School Admissions, see  Apply for a key stage transfer school place for a child with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan on our Local Offer site or email the Special Educational Needs Team at for how to apply.

You must use your child’s legal name on the application.

Applications from outside the UK

If you're applying for a school place outside the UK and have problems applying online then fill in the infant to junior transfer application form. The form will be available from 12 September 2021 for September 2022 admissions. You can either post it, or scan and email it to  

Other ways to apply

Fill in the infant to junior transfer application form (word doc, 90KB) (opens new window)  The deadline for applications is 15 January 2022.

Junior schools and available places

Places available at a junior school are determined by the school's Admission Number.  This is the minimum number of children who have to be offered places at each school if there are enough applications.

See Bristol junior school places and admissions policies page for :

  • school website address
  • planned admission number for 2022
  • type of school
  • age range
  • number on role
  • admissions policy for 2022

Junior school allocation of places

For applications submitted by 15 January 2022 each junior school:

  • will first allocate places to any Year 2 children transferring from their paired infant school.
  • if they  have extra places left over then they will apply the  oversubscription criteria to all applications for children who currently go to other infant or primary schools.

If there are no places available at the junior school you‘ll be told of the appeals procedure by the admission authority for the school.

Oversubscription criteria

Initial allocations using the oversubscription criteria will involve only applications submitted by 15 January 2022. See the school admissions policy for how places are allocated.

Applications to Summerhill Academy follow different admission criteria.  

Transfer to a primary school

If you want your child to attend a primary school in Bristol from Year 3, use our in year application process.  Applications should be made from 10 June 2022.  Applications for schools outside Bristol should be made to the local authority where the school is based.

Information about delayed, deferred and accelerated entry (pdf, 152KB) (opens new window) to junior school.

Applications for an infant junior transfer for September 2021

You'll need to make an in year application to apply for  an infant junior transfer for September 2021.

Contact information

School admissions

Bristol City Council (City Hall)

PO Box 3399

Bristol, BS1 9NE

Opening Hours

Telephones: 9am - 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am - 4.30pm Friday.

Closed Wednesday until midday for staff training.

To contact us complete our school admissions contact form.

Tel: 0117 903 7694