Changing the way we provide care homes
We’re changing the way we commission services for people that live in residential and nursing care homes.
We support around 1,700 people living in over 200 different care homes at a cost of around £59 million every year. We’ve held consultations and discussions with care home residents, their friends and relatives and social care professionals, who told us they’re not satisfied with some aspects of the care home services in Bristol.
So we’re changing the way these services are commissioned, arranged and delivered. This is to make sure that people live in the home that is right for them, with the best care and that we only work with care homes that meet our standards.
We’re working closely with the care home co-production group, a small collective of care home providers in Bristol. They help us to review and revise the proposed commissioning arrangements, as well as represent Bristol care homes during the process.
We started a competitive tender process for care home providers in February 2016. Once this is finished, we’ll only commission care home services from providers and care homes that are successful in their tender.
Care home tender timeline
- February 2016: advertise opportunity to tender on OJEU, Proactis, Contracts Finder
- 29 February 2016: provider tender event
- 21 March 2016: provider tender event
- April 2016: tender deadline
- April to July 2016: we look at the tenders
- August 2016:we award provisional contracts
For more information on our responses to the care home consultation please see the 'You Said, We Did' document. (pdf, 438k) (opens new window)
Care home co-production group
For more information about this group, read the co-production group terms of reference (pdf, 60k) (opens new window)
You can read the minutes from the co-production group meetings:
- Co Production Group Minutes 10 September 2014
- Co Production Group Minutes 13 November 2014
- Co Production Group 5 December 2014
- Co Production Group Minutes 16 March 2015
- Co Production Group Minutes 20 May 2015
- Co Production Group Minutes 15 June 2015
- Co Production Group minutes 30 June 2015
How we kept providers informed and supported through this change
In 2015 we invited care home providers to:
- read our market engagement document (pdf, 565k) (opens new window)
- join our email list to receive updates
- attend market engagement events: you can look at the presentation slides and read the frequently asked questions (contents subject to change) from the events
- attend pre-tender events: you can look at the the pre tender presentation from the events
We also invited care home providers to forums. You can read minutes from the forums: