Children with disabilities
The Disabled Children Service provides a range of assessments and services for children with disabilities.
We can help you with:
- an assessment and plan for your child’s particular needs
- support for you and your family
- occupational therapy assessment services
- short breaks for you or your child
- accessible play areas
- advice and information on services in your community
Child in Need assessment
A Child in Need assessment is carried out by a social worker.
Section 17 of the Children Act 1989 says ‘a child in need is a child who is disabled or whose vulnerability is such that they are unlikely to reach or maintain a satisfactory level of health and development, or their health and development will be significantly impaired without the provision of services’.
The outcome of the assessment and plan may range from a simple referral to another agency or a more detailed, long-term written action plan.
Your child may be eligible for an assessment if:
- they have a medical diagnosis of a severe physical impairment, learning impairment or autism
- they have a home address in Bristol city
- their needs can’t be met by standard children’s services
Contact us at email@example.com to ask about an assessment.
Findability is a website full of information for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, and their families. It is Bristol’s Local Offer.
Find out more about education for children with special needs
- 1 Big Database
- Bristol Black Carers
- Bristol Parent Carers
- Findability Bristol
- Go Places to Play
- Hop, Skip and Jump (Seven Springs South West)
- The Carers Centre for Bristol and South Gloucestershire
- The Jessie May Trust
- Children with special educational needs (SEN) on Gov.uk
- Contact a Family
- Council for Disabled Children
- Every Disabled Child Matters
- Preparing for Adulthood
- Supportive parents
- The Family Fund
- The National Autistic Society
- Transition Information Network (TIN)
- West of England Centre for Inclusive Living (WECIL)
Elsewhere on the web
Disabled Children Services
5 Knowle West Health Park
Bristol, BS4 1WH
Tel: 0117 903 8250
Text phone: 0117 903 8255
Fax: 0117 903 8254