Walk leader resources
Whether you are an existing leader or considering becoming one, we can provide you with all the information you may need.
When you become a walk leader you will need the following forms and information with you when you take a group out:
- Download: Walker Registration Form To be filled out by each new walker when they join and to be updated as individual's health circumstances change.
- Download: health walk register (msword, 184 KB) (opens new window) (Ms Word version)
- Download: health walk register (pdf, 61 KB) (opens new window) (PDF)
Use the register at the start of each walk to record the participants on your walk. Give completed registers to your walking group organiser or walk group administrator.
- Download: route planner form (msword, 174 KB) (opens new window) (Ms Word Version)
- Download: route planner form (pdf, 165 KB) (opens new window) (PDF) Route planner form to record information about new routes: walk level/terrain/accessibility
- Download: risk assessment form (msword, 177 KB) (opens new window) (Ms Word version)
- Download: risk assessment form (pdf, 105 KB) (opens new window) (PDF)
Risk assessment form to record hazards, potential accidents, health risks. To be completed and filed for each new walk route and updated every 6 months.
- Download: walk leader checklist (pdf, 46 KB) (opens new window)
A simple checklist on what should be carried out before, during and after a walk.
- Download: accident report form (msword, 143 KB) (opens new window)
A useful form for leaders to record essential information should an incident occur. Report all incidents to your group coordinator.
Guidance, health, safety and welfare
- Download: Ground rules (pdf, 27 KB) (opens new window)
Code of conduct (for participants and organisers). Walk leaders should assist group coordinators to ensure walkers are aware of the ground rules.
- Download: health and safety guidelines (pdf, 40 KB) (opens new window)
Health and safety information for walk leaders and volunteers
- Download: Managing unfit walkers (pdf, 35 KB) (opens new window)
Guidance on how to manage a participant who arrives unfit to walk.
- Download: Group initiator guidance (pdf, 40 KB) (opens new window)
Guidance on setting up a new walking group
Download: Welcoming participants with additional needs and managing groups (msword, 200 KB) (opens new window) Guidance on how to facilitate participation of walkers with additional needs and safely manage groups.
- Download: Encountering aggressive members of the public (msword, 152 KB) (opens new window) Guidance on how to proceed if a member of the public is aggressive towards a walker or group
- Download: Walk for Health Bristol Volunteer Policy (pdf, 456 KB) (opens new window) Guidance on Bristol City Council health walk volunteer recruitment and support: including supervision, safeguarding, confidentiality and insurance.