Walking for health
What is Walking for Health Bristol?
Walk for Health Bristol is an initiative which supports Bristol’s diverse communities to become more active through walking.
How to get involved
- Led walks: join a local walking group
- Measured routes: walk a planned route around some of local parks
- Volunteering: lead walks across the city
- Start up your own group: Download our Walking for Health guidelines (pdf, 41 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 42k) (opens new window) to provide you with the information you need to start your own group
Already a volunteer? Visit our walk leader resource area
Why get involved?
Walking is the most accessible form of physical activity with many physical and mental health benefits. It’s also a great way of getting to know your local neighbourhood and making new friends.
Who can get involved?
- Anyone of any ability wanting to get more physically active in a safe, enjoyable way.
- Health and community organisations wishing to develop their own walking initiative for clients or staff
Walking for Health leaflet
Find out more about the project by downloading the leaflet below.
Film: Walk for Health Bristol - a participants perspective
To mark a decade of Walking for Health a 30 minute film was made by Bristol City Council giving 17 participants accounts of their experiences with the scheme.
Elsewhere on the web
- Age Concern Bristol Go to http://www.ageuk.org.uk/bristol/ (opens new window)
- Parkrun Go to http://www.parkrun.com/ (opens new window)
- Bristol Ramblers Go to http://www.bristolramblers.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Bristol Nordic Walking Go to http://www.bristolnordicwalking.co.uk (opens new window)
- Living Streets Go to http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Mendip Hills Go to http://www.mendiphillsaonb.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Nordic Walking Go to http://nordicwalking.co.uk/ (opens new window)
- Ordnance Survey Go to http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ (opens new window)
- Ramblers Go to http://www.ramblers.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Sustrans Go to http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Walk England Go to http://www.walkengland.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Walk4Life Go to http://www.walk4life.info/ (opens new window)
- Woodland Trust Go to http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/Pages/default.aspx# (opens new window)
- Brunel Walking Go to http://brunelwalking.org.uk/index.php (opens new window)
- Link Age Go to http://www.linkagebristol.org.uk (opens new window)