Walking for Health
Walking for health
What Walking for Health is, who can get involved, how to get involved, why you should get involved
Walk for Health Bristol is an initiative which supports Bristol’s diverse communities to become more active through walking.
Who can get involved
- Anyone of any ability wanting to get more physically active in a safe, enjoyable way
- Health and community organisations that want to develop their own walking initiative for clients or staff
How to get involved
Ramblers Walking for Health is England's largest network of health walk groups. There are 30 health walk groups in Bristol.
Ramblers' health walks should be:
- 90 minutes or shorter
- easy and accessible to everyone
- led by trained volunteers
The Walking for Health website explains how to:
The Ramblers website has more than 100 easy access Bristol walks (0.5 to 3 miles in length) available to download, as well as longer routes.
The TravelWest website has:
- walking routes developed by Bristol Ramblers: the walks are a great way to discover the city and its history
- tips for walking to work, walking in every season and staying safe while walking
- information about Walk Fest, Bristol's annual walking festival
walkit.com has a route planner that you can use to plan walks.
Why you should get involved
Walking is the most accessible form of physical activity with many physical and mental health benefits. It’s also a great way to get to know your local neighbourhood and making new friends.
Elsewhere on the web
- Age Concern Bristol Go to http://www.ageuk.org.uk/bristol/ (opens new window)
- Parkrun Go to http://www.parkrun.com/ (opens new window)
- Bristol Ramblers Go to http://www.bristolramblers.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Bristol Nordic Walking Go to http://www.bristolnordicwalking.co.uk (opens new window)
- Living Streets Go to http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Mendip Hills Go to http://www.mendiphillsaonb.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Nordic Walking Go to http://nordicwalking.co.uk/ (opens new window)
- Ordnance Survey Go to http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ (opens new window)
- Ramblers Go to http://www.ramblers.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Sustrans Go to http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Walk England Go to http://www.walkengland.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Walk4Life Go to http://www.walk4life.info/ (opens new window)
- Woodland Trust Go to http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/Pages/default.aspx# (opens new window)
- Brunel Walking Go to http://brunelwalking.org.uk/index.php (opens new window)
- Link Age Go to http://www.linkagebristol.org.uk (opens new window)