Local notices to mariners
See our local notices to mariners to find out about how events in the harbour may affect you.
Local notices to mariners contain important information on:
- temporary navigational directions and/or restrictions
- notification of water events in the harbour
The notices have two digits each for the number of the notice and the year it was issued, for example Notice No 41/10 means notice 41 of the year 2010.
You should check these events as they're in force for the safety of all harbour users and will help you make the most of your visit to Bristol Harbour.
Events in Bristol Harbour
See the local notices to mariners below for events and changes in Bristol Harbour.
41/10 Building works at Finzels Reach
Building works at the old Courage Brewery site are continuing until further notice.
A tower crane will be working across the harbour during the building works but will be limited to carrying loads 10m from the quay wall at any time.
Steel pontoons are installed along the working area connected to the quay walls.
Yellow buoys will be installed to create an exclusion zone around the works and will be lit at night with yellow flashing lights.
Mariners must not navigate within the exclusion zone for any reason at any time and are requested to keep a good look out when passing these works at a slow speed.
31/11 Safety boat cover for water events
The Bristol Sailing School under licence from the Harbour Master’s Office will carry out safety boat cover for Water Events and Water Skiing Sessions held in Bristol Harbour.
During these events the Sailing School Staff will be acting under the same powers of Safety and Navigation Control as any of the Harbour Master’s Staff and as such all directions given should be abided by.
30/14 Short term licences: Netham Lock
Please note, as from 1 April 2014, the duty lock keeper at Netham will not be able to accept any cash payment for short term licences.
The only method of payments will be by debit cards, credit cards or cheques.
40/15 Scouring operations: Cumberland Basin
Scouring operations in the Cumberland Basin will take place at the following times:
- Monday 21 March 2016 from 11.30
- Tuesday 5 April 2016 from 12.00
- Wednesday 20 April 2016 from 12.45
- Wednesday 4 May 2016 from 11.30
- Thursday 19 May 2016 from 12.00
- Thursday 2 June 2016 from 11.00
- Friday 17 June 2016 from 11.15
During these operations please note:
- The water level in the floating harbour, Feeder Canal and River Avon upstream of Netham Lock may be reduced by as much as 0.5 metres during the period of approximately 5 hours from commencement of each scour.
- Strong currents will be experienced in narrow bridge ways and especially Prince Street Bridge, Totterdown Junction, in the Feeder Canal at Netham Lock.
- Vessels proceeding upstream against the current must give way to vessels coming downstream at all bridge ways, Totterdown Junction and at Netham Lock.
- All vessels when approaching Prince Street Bridge, Redcliffe Bridge, Totterdown Junction or Netham Lock must sound one prolonged blast of their whistle from either direction.
41/15 Reduction in clearance under Ashton Bridge, New Cut
Notice is hereby given that:
From 1 January 2016 scaffolding will be erected on the underside of Ashton Bridge. The clearance will be reduced by 1.6 m and will be in place until September 2016. This is to facilitate works to the structure of the bridge.
Mariners are advised to consider plans to navigate the New Cut carefully.
26/16 Netham Lock summer operating times
Sunday 27 March 2016 to Friday 30 September 2016
The summer hours of operation: 06:50h to 22:10h
Vessels are advised to arrive at the lock at least 1 hour before it closes to ensure passage through lock.
27/16 Prince Street Bridge: continuing works
Essential renovation work on Prince Street Bridge is set to continue throughout the British Summer Time period.
Prince Street Bridge will remain swung off. The clearance under the temporary foot bridge is 5.1m, subject to the variable harbour levels.
Vessels with an air draft exceeding 5m will not be able to navigate under.
28/16 Harbour Office summer opening 2016
Sunday 27 March 2016 to Sunday 31 May 2016.
The Harbour Office will be open for general enquiries, licensing and the purchasing of commodities between 08:00hrs and 17:00hrs seven days a week.
Wednesday 1 June 2016 to Sunday 30 October 2016
The Harbour Office will be open for general enquiries, licensing and the purchasing of commodities between 08:30hrs and 16.30hrs seven days a week.
It will no longer be possible to obtain any commodities from the Harbour Office outside of these hours.
Duty Officers will remain on duty until 22:00hrs, carrying out dock patrols and will be on call to respond to emergencies only.
The Baltic Wharf slipway may be locked after 17:00hrs if the Duty Officers are not in the vicinity.
These changes apply to both in person and telephone enquiries however; an emergency telephone service will continue to be available during operational hours.
Reminder for all potential users of the slipway: In order for a short-term navigation licence to be granted to use a powerboat or sports boat in Bristol City Docks, photographic proof of identity must be produced. Failure to produce this will result in a licence being denied.
29/16 Reduction of navigation channel: Finzels Reach
From Tuesday 15 March 2016, for a period of 32 weeks, there will be a reduction in the width of the navigation channel at Finzels Reach.
Mariners are advised to navigate with caution in this area.
This is to facilitate ongoing construction works on the development site.
Scaffolding will be erected on the building overhanging the upstream navigation channel. This area will be marked by lit buoys, and should not be entered.
30/16 Harbour Office summer opening 2016
Notice is hereby given that from Wednesday 1st June 2016 to Sunday 30th October 2016 the Harbour Office will be opened for general enquiries, licensing and the purchasing of commodities between 08:30hrs and 16:30hrs seven days a week.
Therefore, it will no longer be possible to obtain any commodities from the Harbour Office outside of these hours.
31/16 Scouring operations in the Cumberland Basin
- Friday 1 July 2016 from 10.30
- Monday 1 August 2016 from 12.15
- Wednesday 17 August 2016 from 12.45
- Tuesday 30 August 2016 from 12.00
- Thursday 15 September 2016 from 12.30
- Wednesday 28 September 2016 from 11.45
- Thursday 13 October 2016 from 11.00
- Thursday 27 October 2016 from 11.45
- Thursday 13 October 2016 from 11.00
- Thursday 27 October 2016 from 11.15
- Monday 14 November 2016 from 12.15
- Monday 28 November 2016 from 12.00
- Monday 12 December 2016 from 11
- Wednesday 28 December 2016 from 12.00
During these operations please note:
1. The water level in the floating harbour, Feeder Canal and River Avon upstream of Netham Lock may be reduced by as much as 0.5 metres during the period of approximately 5 hours from commencement of each scour.
2. Strong currents will be experienced in narrow bridge ways and especially Prince Street Bridge, Totterdown Junction, in the Feeder Canal at Netham Lock.
3. Vessels proceeding upstream against the current must give way to vessels coming downstream at all bridge ways, Totterdown Junction and at Netham Lock.
4. All vessels when approaching Prince Street Bridge, Redcliffe Bridge, Totterdown Junction or Netham Lock must sound one prolonged blast of their whistle from either direction.
Bristol Harbour: Local notices to mariners remaining in force
41/10 Building Works at Finzels Reach
31/11 Safety Boat Cover for Water Events in Bristol City Docks 2011
30/14 Short Term Licences Netham Lock
40/15 Scouring Operations – Cumberland Basin
41/15 Reduction in Clearance Under Ashton Bridge, New Cut
9-24/16 Events in the City Docks
26/16 Netham Lock – Summer Operating Times 2016
27/16 Prince Street Bridge – Continuing Works
28/16 Harbour Office Summer Opening 2016
29/16 Reduction of Navigation Channel – Finzels Reach
30/16 Amendment to Notice to Mariners 26/16 - Harbour Office Summer Opening 2016
31/16 Scouring Operations – Cumberland Basin
- Map of Bristol Harbour (pdf, 454 KB) (pdf, 454k) (opens new window)
- Navigation and Berthing Charges (pdf, 29 KB) (pdf, 38k) (opens new window)
- Safety guidance information for small boat passage of the Severn Estuary (pdf, 1.0 MB) (pdf, 1MB) (opens new window)
- Bristol Harbour information for boaters (pdf, 6MB) (opens new window)
Bristol, BS1 6XG
Open for general enquiries, licensing and the purchasing of commodities daily (except Christmas Day) as follows:
Harbour Office: Saturday to Thursday 08.00 to 17.00, Friday 08.00 to 16.30
From 1 June 2016: Monday to Sunday 08.30 to 16.30
Emergency Service: Duty Officers are on call between 07.30 and 22.30
Harbour Office: Monday to Sunday 10.00 to 15.00
Emergency Service: Duty Officers are on call between 09.00 and 17.00
Channel 73, callsign BRISTOL FLOATING HARBOUR.
Tel: 0117 903 1484
Fax: 0117 903 1487