Apply for a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO)

Apply for a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO)

What a TTRO is, the application process and how much it costs.

When you need a TTRO

You need a TTRO when you want to stop or limit vehicles or pedestrians’ traffic on a road. It can be for example:

  • a road or public right of way closure
  • a width, height or weight restriction
  • a temporary speed limit

You can use a TTRO for:

  • planned roadworks such as installing or maintaining gas, electricity or water services
  • building works next to the road, such as large developments

You need to apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice  (TTRN) for unplanned and emergency work or planned works that’ll take no longer than two days.

Apply for a road closure for temporary roadworks (TTRO)

A TTRO can last up to 18 months for a road and six months for a Public Right of Way.

How long it takes

TTROs take at least eight weeks to process because we have to:

  • tell the police, emergency and other services such as bus operators and waste services
  • put a notice in the Bristol Post   to let people know about the road closure

What you'll need to do

You'll need to:

  • let residents know about your roadworks using our letter to residents template
  • have temporary street and traffic management signs in place

You can check our Guide to road closure signs, direction signs and banners and contact to see if you need any traffic management.


Application cost is £1973 and an extra £775 for each additional road and for each additional restriction.

This includes: 

  • legal advertising and administration costs
  • a processing fee

It doesn’t include any temporary traffic management costs, such as diversion signs or barriers.

Extend your TTRO

You’ll need to apply at least eight weeks before the end date of the existing Order if you want to extend a TTRO beyond the six or 18 months initial period.