Bristol Ideal badge
Bristol Ideal badge
What is the Bristol Ideal Badge and what your school needs to do to achieve it.
About the Bristol Ideal badge
The Bristol Ideal badge is a set of standards for schools to follow to tackle domestic and sexual violence in Bristol.
The standards focus firmly on prevention, looking at the crucial role schools could play.
The standards are based on what we know will make a lasting impact on preventing domestic and sexual abuse, while supporting pupils and staff who might be victims.
We're not currently taking new applications for this badge.
Why your school should do the Bristol Ideal badge
Anyone can be a victim of abuse regardless of:
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
According to the NSPCC, one in five children in the UK has been exposed to domestic violence. Children often go to school the next day with little or no support.
Girls are more likely than boys to report experiencing abuse in their relationships, regardless what age they are. About 66% of girls and 32% of boys aged 14 to 17 report having experienced one or more types of abuse from an intimate partner. (Barter et al, 2015).
Young adolescents between eleven and fourteen are as likely to experience abuse as older teenagers (Barter et al, 2009). Young people, including those below 16, are as likely as adults are to experience severe abuse. (SafeLives, 2017)
According to the NCPCC, if a child lives in a home where there's domestic abuse, they're likely to be at risk of other types of abuse, such as:
- physical abuse
- sexual abuse
- emotional abuse
Children who witness domestic violence may do worse in school. They might struggle with self-esteem and have trouble forming relationships (Byrne and Taylor 2007). Domestic violence has a devastating impact on children and young people which can last into adulthood.
Schools have an important role in:
- identifying children who might be living with domestic violence
- giving children a safe place to get support
Young people consistently agree that violence prevention work should happen in the school. (Barter et al, 2015)
Bristol Ideal badge criteria
The criteria we’ll use to assess your submission are:
- your school has leadership for the prevention of and response to all forms of domestic and sexual violence and abuse (DSVA)
- your school has a culture and environment that promotes healthy relationships, respect between pupils and respect for diversity, gender and sexuality equality
- your school delivers high quality teaching around DSVA, healthy relationships and gender equality
- your school is committed to meaningful pupil and parent participation around DSVA, healthy relationships and gender equality
- your school identifies DSVA needs within the school
- your school has clear pathways and access to a choice of appropriate DSVA services, so staff and pupils are aware of and able to access this support
- your school supports staff wellbeing
There’s no Advanced level for this badge.
Working towards the badge
The team will help you assess which standards you’re currently meeting and which ones you need to work towards.
We’ll then support you to develop a Bristol Ideal action plan.
Your school has 18 months to submit your portfolio of evidence and achieve the badge. If you think you need longer, speak to your Bristol Ideal Lead.
We’ll support you throughout this process.
We encourage paperless portfolios. You can put together electronic evidence into a folder for submission.
You may not need to submit evidence for every criteria, some will simply be a tick in the box. Don’t submit evidence unnecessarily. For example, if we can find evidence on your school website, let us know by giving us the links to the pages where we can find what we need.
Your submission will be signed off by the wider Healthy Schools team.
If your school is interested in other badges, tell your Healthy Schools team lead. You may benefit from doing more than one badge at a time.
Use these documents to gather evidence of your work towards the badge criteria. These have been updated as of December 2018:
- Bristol Ideal badge (updated December 2018) (word doc, 5.4MB) (opens new window)
- Responding to abuse pack (pdf, 978KB) (opens new window)
- RSE resources and lesson plans (word doc, 2.1MB) (opens new window)
- Bristol Ideal resources list (pdf, 597KB) (opens new window)