Why choose us
Why foster for Bristol City Council
Why you should choose to foster with us, and how we’re different to other organisations you can foster with.
By becoming one of our foster carers, you’ll join an experienced and supportive specialist community of carers and staff.
There are many reasons why people choose to foster with us, including:
- regular placements
- training and support before, during, and in between placements, including your own dedicated social worker
- regular contact with other carers and our fostering team
- rewards and discounts in Bristol and nationally
- the satisfaction of doing something for your city
- moving to us from an independent fostering agency is quick and easy
We’re responsible for all the children in care in Bristol. It’s our job to make sure the children in our care are placed with the right foster families. Our carers usually have one or more children living with them all year round.
Having children placed with you on a regular basis means you can rely on the regular payments and allowances that we give to all of our carers.
Training and support
Support from us
We know that fostering can be challenging at times. We’re always here to support you throughout each placement.
As one of our foster carers, you’ll have your own allocated social worker and you’ll benefit from regular telephone calls and visits.
We run local support groups where you can meet other carers and discuss your experiences as well as get useful tips and advice on the day-to-day practicalities of fostering.
We also encourage foster carers to help each other, through our Buddy Scheme.
"…if situations arise that I am unsure of or [I am] in need of a bit of guidance, as some behaviour can be very challenging, support is always at hand day or night."
Nikki, long-term foster carer since 2006
Training and support from local organisations
As a foster carer for us, you’ll have access to:
- local fostering training venues, offering a wide variety of specialised training, so you don’t have to travel long distances
- support from the independent fostering association for Avon (AFCA)
We know that being a foster carer can be challenging, so we make sure we stay in regular contact with you while you’re fostering with us.
- regular social events for you and your family, where you can meet other foster carers
- events for your own birth children, as important members of your foster family
- a newsletter every two months, with news, events, training and local discounts for our foster carers
Rewards and discounts
If you decide to become one of our foster carers, we’ll give you:
- a MaxCard, a discount card offering money off family attractions nationwide
- a cash reward scheme if you get one of your friends or relatives to foster with us
Doing something for Bristol
We aim to place Bristol children with local families, to help them:
- stay in touch with their friends
- carry on studying in the same school
- be close to their community
Our fostering team, social workers, trainers, education specialists and healthcare therapists all work closely together to make sure we offer complete care to the child and support to you.
As one of our foster carers giving a Bristol child a welcoming and supportive home, in which you can help them reach their potential, you can take pride in knowing you’re actively helping our city thrive.
It’s quick and easy to transfer to us
You could move to us from an independent fostering agency in as little as 28 days.