Help on losing weight
Watching your weight
Maintaining a healthy weight is important for your overall health and can help reduce your risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
If you're overweight, losing weight has many health benefits. Making simple changes to what and how much you eat and drink and how active you are can really help you lose the pounds.
Free weight loss sessions
If you live in Bristol or have a Bristol GP and would like support to lose weight, you may quality for 12 weeks of free vouchers for Slimming World or Weight Watchers.
You'll need to commit to attending the group for 12 weeks. It's been proven that weight loss results are much better when you receive weekly support and advice.
The sessions only take 90 minutes a week.
Check if you qualify
To qualify for the free weight loss sessions, you must:
- live in Bristol
- be 16 years or more
- be registered with a Bristol GP
- be overweight:
- you need to have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or above, you can check your BMI on the NHS website or
- BMI 28 and over if you're from one of the following population groups: South Asian, Chinese, Bangladeshi, Black African/Black Caribbean/Black British
- not be currently attending a slimming club
- not have attended a slimming club in the last six months
- have no history of an eating disorder
To join the scheme
Contact your GP practice for details.
We fund one 12 week programme per person.
The scheme is designed to ‘kick start’ your weight loss.
You may choose to continue with your weight loss group as a paid member or carry on the healthy eating programme by yourself.
Our aim is that you make it a change for life.
Children's healthy lifestyle and weight management service
Alive n Kicking is a multi-component programme which engages the whole family.
It provides strategies to develop self-efficacy, integrating exercise and healthy eating choices into daily life.
Keep updated with information about our families and upcoming programmes with our Alive n Kicking Facebook page.
Schools in Bristol can refer families to the Alive n Kicking programme using the Bristol Referral Form. Families are also able to self-refer.
For more details contact Alive n Kicking on 0117 942 2602 or email: email@example.com
Elsewhere on the web
- NHS: One You weight loss advice Go to https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/weight#9VZZysqERw3ezE5z.97 (opens new window)
- NHS: One You easy meals app Go to https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/apps#rqxM6ut2wXyfwOSP.97 (opens new window)
- NHS: Lose weight Go to http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/Pages/Loseweighthome.aspx (opens new window)